Earnings and Capital Management in Alternative Loan Loss Provision Regulatory Regimes
AbstractAccounting scholars and policy-makers have expressed concern about the quality of accounting data. Because earnings and capital management practices alter the information content of accounting statements, we ask whether a transparent smoothing device such as the statistical provision - a counter-cyclical bank loan loss provision that increases in economic upturns and decreases in downturns, and is reported separately by banks - may contribute to improving quality of accounting data. We find that Spanish banks use loan loss provisions to smooth earnings but we find no evidence that they practice capital management. We also find that credit risk variables weigh more and net operating income weighs less as determinants of generic and specific loan loss provisions after the introduction of the statistical provision than they did before this provision was introduced. Therefore, the quality of banks' accounting statements improves upon use of the new statistical provision.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal European Accounting Review.
Volume (Year): 17 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rafael Repullo & Jesús Saurina & Carlos Trucharte, 2010.
"Mitigating the pro-cyclicality of Basel II,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
1028, Banco de Espa�a.
- Bouvatier, Vincent & Lepetit, Laetitia, 2012. "Provisioning rules and bank lending: A theoretical model," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 25-31.
- Ester Gras-Gil & Salvador Marin-Hernandez & Domingo Garcia-Perez de Lema, 2012. "Internal audit and financial reporting in the Spanish banking industry," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(8), pages 728-753.
- Mary E. Barth & Javier Gomez-Biscarri & Ron Kasznik & Germán López-Espinosa, 2012. "Fair Value Accounting, Earnings Management and the use of Available-for-Sale Instruments by Bank Managers," Faculty Working Papers 05/12, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Stergios Leventis & Panagiotis Dimitropoulos, 2012. "The role of corporate governance in earnings management: experience from US banks," Journal of Applied Accounting Research, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 13(2), pages 161-177.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.