Estimation and Testing for Unit Root Processes with GARCH (1, 1) Errors: Theory and Monte Carlo Evidence
AbstractLeast squares (LS) and maximum likelihood (ML) estimation are considered for unit root processes with GARCH (1, 1) errors. The asymptotic distributions of LS and ML estimators are derived under the condition α + β < 1. The former has the usual unit root distribution and the latter is a functional of a bivariate Brownian motion, as in Ling and Li [Ling, S., Li, W. K. (1998). Limiting distributions of maximum likelihood estimators for unstable autoregressive moving-average time series with GARCH errors. Ann. Statist.26:84-125]. Several unit root tests based on LS estimators, ML estimators, and mixing LS and ML estimators, are constructed. Simulation results show that tests based on mixing LS and ML estimators perform better than Dickey-Fuller tests which are based on LS estimators, and that tests based on the ML estimators perform better than the mixed estimators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Econometric Reviews.
Volume (Year): 22 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20
Other versions of this item:
- Shiqing Ling & W. K. Li & Michael McAleer, 2001. "Estimation and Testing for Unit Root Processes with GARCH(1,1) Errors: Theory and Monte Carlo Evidence," ISER Discussion Paper 0544, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Shiqing Ling & W. K. Li & Michael McAleer, 2003. "Estimation and Testing for Unit Root Processes with GARCH (1, 1) Errors: Theory and Monte Carlo Evidence," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-207, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1986. "Asymptotic Theory for ARCH Models: Estimation and Testing," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 107-131, April.
- Li, Yushu & Shukur, Ghazi, 2009. "Testing for Unit Root against LSTAR model – wavelet improvements under GARCH distortion," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 184, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2007. "Testing for unit roots in time series models with non-stationary volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 919-947, October.
- Riccardo LUCCHETTI & Giulio PALOMBA, 2006. "Forecasting US bond yields at weekly frequency," Working Papers 261, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Berkes, István & Hörmann, Siegfried & Horváth, Lajos, 2008. "The functional central limit theorem for a family of GARCH observations with applications," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(16), pages 2725-2730, November.
- Wang, Gaowen, 2006. "A note on unit root tests with heavy-tailed GARCH errors," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(10), pages 1075-1079, May.
- Paulo M. M. Rodrigues & Antonio Rubia, 2004.
"On the Small Sample Properties of Dickey Fuller and Maximum Likelihood Unit Root Tests on Discrete-Sampled Short-Term Interest Rates,"
- Paulo M.M. Rodrigues & Antonio Rubia, 2004. "On The Small Sample Properties Of Dickey Fuller And Maximum Likelihood Unit Root Tests On Discrete-Sampled Short-Term Interest Rates," Working Papers. Serie AD 2004-11, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Matei Demetrescu, 2010. "On the Dickey–Fuller test with White standard errors," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 51(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Li, Yushu & Shukur, Ghazi, 2009. "Testing for Unit Root against LSTAR Model: Wavelet Improvement under GARCH Distortion," CAFO Working Papers 2009:6, Centre for Labour Market Policy Research (CAFO), School of Business and Economics, Linnaeus University.
- Gospodinov, Nikolay, 2008. "Asymptotic and bootstrap tests for linearity in a TAR-GARCH(1,1) model with a unit root," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 146-161, September.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2005:i:55:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ploberger, Werner & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2012.
"Optimal estimation under nonstandard conditions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 169(2), pages 258-265.
- W. K. Li & Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001. "A Survey of Recent Theoretical Results for Time Series Models with GARCH Errors," ISER Discussion Paper 0545, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Lucchetti, Riccardo & Palomba, Giulio, 2009. "Nonlinear adjustment in US bond yields: An empirical model with conditional heteroskedasticity," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 659-667, May.
- Matei Demetrescu & Christoph Hanck, 2013. "Nonlinear IV panel unit root testing under structural breaks in the error variance," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 54(4), pages 1043-1066, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.