Arms export controls and emerging domestic producers
AbstractThe possibility of domestic production raises a difficulty for arms export control measures, since embargoes, by raising the effective price of imports, increase the incentive for domestic production. We address this issue by developing a partial equilibrium model of the international arms market We compare three arms export regimes involving the exporters of high-technology arms, with a particular focus on the effect of emerging domestic production: laissez-faire trade, the uncoordinated regulation of exports and a producer cartel consisting of coordinated regulation. The main conclusion is that the possibility of domestic production significantly changes the nature of these stylized export regimes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Defence and Peace Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GDPE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria del Carmen Garcia-Alonso & Paul Levine, 2003.
"Arms Export Controls, Subsidies and the WTO Exemption,"
Studies in Economics
0304, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- María del Carmen García-Alonso & Paul Levine, 2005. "Arms Export Controls, Subsidies And The Wto Exemption," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 52(2), pages 305-322, 05.
- Maria Garcia-Alonso & Paul Levine, 2004.
"Strategic Procurement, Openness and Market Structure,"
School of Economics Discussion Papers
0904, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- García-Alonso, María D.C. & Levine, Paul, 2008. "Strategic procurement, openness and market structure," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1180-1190, September.
- Maria del Carmen Garcia-Alonso & Paul Levine, 2005. "Strategic Procurement, Openness and Market Structure," Studies in Economics 0503, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.