The Arms Trade and Arms Control
AbstractThis paper constructs a dynamic model of the arms trade in which there are a small number of suppliers who care about the profits from the trade and the security consequences of the sale and a large number of interacting buyers who are concerned about their security relative to regional rivals. The authors derive the equilibrium under a number of assumptions about market structure. This model is then used to evaluate the benefits and sustainability of a proposed arms control regime that involves establishing a cartel of suppliers, taxing arms exports, and distributing the proceeds to recipients. Copyright 1995 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 105 (1995)
Issue (Month): 429 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Garcia-Alonso, M.C., 1998.
"The role of Technology Security in a Model of Trade with Horizontal Differentiation,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
423.98, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- del Carmen Garcia-Alonso, Maria, 2000. "The role of technology security in a model of trade with horizontal differentiation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 747-772, July.
- Akerman, Anders & Larsson, Anna, 2010.
"The Global Arms Trade Network 1950-2007,"
Research Papers in Economics
2010:2, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Levine, Paul & Smith, Ron, 1997. "The arms trade and the stability of regional arms races," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 631-654.
- María del Carmen García-Alonso, 2000. "Security and Price Arbitrage," Studies in Economics 0002, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Christos Kollias & Kleanthis Sirakoulis, 2002. "Arms Racing and the Costs of Arms Imports: A Stochastic Model," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 137-143.
- Maria del Carmen Garcia-Alonso & Keith Hartley, 2000.
"Export controls, market structure and international coordination,"
Defence and Peace Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 481-503.
- María del Carmen García-Alonso & Keith Hartley, 1999. "Export Controls, Market Structure and International Coordination," Studies in Economics 9908, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Benny Mantin & Asher Tishler, 2004. "The structure of the defense industry and the security needs of the country: a differentiated products model," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(5), pages 397-419.
- Garcia-Alonso, Maria del Carmen, 2003. "National-security export-quality restrictions in segmented and non-segmented markets," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 377-390, June.
- Kobi Kagan & Asher Tishler & Avi Weiss, 2005. "On The Use Of Terror Weapons Versus Modern Weapon Systems In An Arms Race Between Developed And Less Developed Countries," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(5), pages 331-346.
- Yoad Shefi & Asher Tishler, 2005. "The Effects Of The World Defense Industry And Us Military Aid To Israel On The Israeli Defense Industry: A Differentiated Products Model," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(6), pages 427-448.
- Bove Vincenzo & Gleditsch Kristian Skrede, 2011. "2010 Lewis Fry Richardson Lifetime Achievement Award: Ron P. Smith and the Economics of War and Peace," Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 17(1), pages 1-12, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.