An evaluation of the efficiency of Quebec's school boards using the Data Envelopment Analysis method
AbstractIn this paper the efficiency of Quebec's school boards during a period of severe cutbacks in their finance is examined. Using Data Envelopment Analysis, the average efficiency is found to be relatively high. In spite of this, potential savings could be achieved if school boards were fully efficient. Results were found to depend heavily on school boards' socio- economic conditions, thus they were subjected to Tobit analysis and the boards' corrected efficiencies recalculated. It is concluded that inefficiencies cost 800 million dollars of which 200 million dollars come from unfavourable socio-economic conditions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (2005)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Haelermans, Carla & Ruggiero, John, 2013. "Estimating technical and allocative efficiency in the public sector: A nonparametric analysis of Dutch schools," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 227(1), pages 174-181.
- Brennan, Shae & Haelermans, Carla & Ruggiero, John, 2014. "Nonparametric estimation of education productivity incorporating nondiscretionary inputs with an application to Dutch schools," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(3), pages 809-818.
- Claudio Thieme & Diego Prior & Víctor Giménez & Emili Tortosa, 2010. "Desempeño De Los Establecimientos Educativos:¿Un Problema De Recursos, Capacidades Organizacionales O Nivel Socioeconómico?," Working Papers 14, Facultad de Economía y Empresa, Universidad Diego Portales.
- Nghiem, Son & Nguyen, Ha & Connelly, Luke, 2014. "The Efficiency of Australian Schools: Evidence from the NAPLAN Data 2009-2011," MPRA Paper 56231, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thieme, Claudio & Prior, Diego & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2013. "A multilevel decomposition of school performance using robust nonparametric frontier techniques," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 104-121.
- López-Torres, Laura & Prior, Diego , 2013. "Do Parents Perceive The Technical Quality Of Public Schools? An Activity Analysis Approach," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 13(3), pages 39-60.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.