Aid-growth nexus: empirical evidence from Fiji
AbstractForeign aid to the island economies is a major source for foreign exchange and resource needs. This paper presents an empirical analysis of the relationship between foreign aid and economic growth in the case of Fiji. A neoclassical production function is applied to estimate the aid-growth nexus. Since the data employed are time series for the period 1968 to 1996, the Autoregressive Distributed Lag approach to cointegration is utilized to estimate the models. Components of total aid, such as grant aid, loan aid, technical cooperation, bilateral and multilateral aid flows are also utilized to estimate a disaggregated short-run and long-run relationship between foreign aid and economic growth. The results show that total aid flows and its various forms, i.e. bilateral aid, grant aid and technical cooperation grant aid, has a significant impact on economic growth in Fiji. As for domestic resources, only exports and private investments in two equations show positive contribution to growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2001)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bartleet, Matthew & Gounder, Rukmani, 2010. "Energy consumption and economic growth in New Zealand: Results of trivariate and multivariate models," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3508-3517, July.
- Balli, Faruk & Balli, Hatice O., 2010.
"Income and consumption smoothing and welfare gains across Pacific Island countries: The role of remittances and foreign aid,"
29547, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 24 Feb 2011.
- Balli, Faruk & Balli, Hatice O., 2011. "Income and consumption smoothing and welfare gains across Pacific Island Countries: The role of remittances and foreign aid," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1642-1649, July.
- Muhammad Javid & Abdul Qayyum, 2011. "Foreign Aid and Growth Nexus in Pakistan: The Role of Macroeconomic Policies," PIDE-Working Papers 2011:72, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Hristos Doucouliagos & Mehmet Ulubasoglu, 2006. "Democracy and Economic Growth: A Meta-Analysis," Economics Series 2006_04, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Prasad, Arti & Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Narayan, Jashwini, 2007. "Exploring the oil price and real GDP nexus for a small island economy, the Fiji Islands," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6506-6513, December.
- Todo, Yasuyuki, 2011.
"Impacts of Aid-Funded Technical Assistance Programs: Firm-Level Evidence from the Indonesian Foundry Industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 351-362, March.
- TODO Yasuyuki, 2008. "Impacts of Aid-Funded Technical Assistance Programs: Firm-Level Evidence from the Indonesian Foundry Industry," Discussion papers 08024, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Tony Addison & George Mavrotas & Mark McGillivray, 2010. "Aid, Debt Relief and New Sources of Finance for Meeting the Millennium Development Goals," Working Papers id:2592, eSocialSciences.
- Rajarshi Mitra & Md. Sharif Hossain, 2013. "Foreign Aid and Economic Growth in the Philippines," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(3), pages 1706-1714.
- T. Bhavan & Changsheng Xu & Chunping Zhong, 2011. "Growth effect of foreign aid and volatility in South Asia," International Journal of Development Issues, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(3), pages 204-213, September.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Sharma, K.L. & Singh, Rup & Lata, Nalini, 2007. "A Survey of Growth and Development Issues of the Pacific Islands," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Cui, Xiaoyong & Gong, Liutang, 2008. "Foreign aid, domestic capital accumulation, and foreign borrowing," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1269-1284, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.