The Exchange Rates and Monetary Dynamics in Pakistan: An Autoregressive Distributed Lag (ARDL) Apporach
AbstractIn this paper we investigate both the long and short run relationship between real money balances, real income, inflation rate,foreign interest rate and real effective exchange rate with reference to Pakistan over the period 1982Q2-2002Q4 using ARDL apporach which is a newly developed econometric technique. The estimate results indicate that in the long run real income,inflation rate, foreign interest rate and real effective exchane rate have a significant impact on real money balances in Pakistan. The dynamics of real money demand show that the effects of rate of inflation,foreign interest rate and the real effective exchange rate are much smaller in the short run than long run. the results also reveal that the demand for real money balances in Pakistan is stable, despite the economic reforms pursuede by the government since the late 1980s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 6752.
Date of creation: Dec 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in The Lahore Journal of Economics 2.10(2005): pp. 87-99
Exchange rate; real money balances; ARDL;
Other versions of this item:
- Muhammad Arshad Khan & Muhammad Zabir Sajjid, 2005. "The Exchange Rates and Monetary Dynamics in Pakistan: An Autoregressive Distributed Lag (ARDL) Approach," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 10(2), pages 87-99, Jul-Dec.
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1996. "The black market exchange rate and demand for money in Iran," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 171-176.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Shin, Y., 1995. "An Autoregressive Distributed Lag Modelling Approach to Cointegration Analysis," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9514, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y. & Smith, R. J., 1996. "Testing for the 'Existence of a Long-run Relationship'," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9622, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Edward Tower, 1975. "Money demand and the terms of trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 111(4), pages 623-633, December.
- Sunil Sharma & Neil R. Ericsson, 1996.
"Broad Money Demand and Financial Liberalization in Greece,"
IMF Working Papers
96/62, International Monetary Fund.
- Sunil Sharma & Neil R. Ericsson, 1998. "Broad money demand and financial liberalization in Greece," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 417-436.
- Neil R. Ericsson & Sunil Sharma, 1996. "Broad money demand and financial liberalization in Greece," International Finance Discussion Papers 559, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- G. Booth & Mustafa Chowdhory, 1992. "Canadian foreign exchange policies: Intervention, control, cointegration," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 128(1), pages 21-33, March.
- Abdul Qayyum, 2000.
"Demand for Real Money Balances by the Business Sector: An Econometric Investigation,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 39(4), pages 857-873.
- Qayyum, Abdul, 2000. "Demand for Real Money Balances by the Business Sector: An Econometric Investigation," MPRA Paper 2156, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2000.
- Mansor Ibrhim, 2001. "Financial Factors and the Empirical Behavior of Money Demand: A Case Study of Malaysia," International Economic Journal, Korean International Economic Association, vol. 15(3), pages 55-72.
- Keith Cuthbertson & Mark P. Taylor, 1990.
"Money demand, expectations, and the forward-looking model,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 289-324.
- Cuthbertson, Keith & Taylor, Mark P., 1990. "Money demand, expectations, and the forward-looking model," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 289-315.
- McKinnon, Ronald & Tan, Kong-Yam, 1983. "Currency Substitution and Instability in the World Dollar Standard: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 474-76, June.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Jun Nagayasu, 1998. "Japanese Effective Exchange Rates and Determinants-Prices, Real Interest Rates, and Actual and Optimal Current Accounts," IMF Working Papers 98/86, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:fth:inseep:9645 is not listed on IDEAS
- Samarjit Das & Kumarjit Mandal, 2000. "Modeling Money Demand in India: Testing Weak, Strong & Super Exogeneity," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 35(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1992.
"Foreign Currency Deposits and the Demand for Money in Developing Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
92/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Khan, Mohsin S., 1996. "Foreign currency deposits and the demand for money in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 101-118, June.
- McNown, Robert & Wallace, Myles S., 1992. "Cointegration tests of a long-run relation between money demand and the effective exchange rate," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 107-114, February.
- KHAN, Muhammad Arshad, 2008. "Long-Run And Short-Run Dynamics Of Foreign Exchange Reserves Flows And Domestic Credit In Pakistan," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 5(1), pages 61-78.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.