Multi-product cost functions and the funding of tuition in UK universities
AbstractA quadratic multi-product cost function is estimated for UK universities prior to the abolition of the binary divide. The arguments of the function include linear and interaction terms in undergraduate tuition, postgraduate tuition and research, and in each case these are separately identified for the (broadly defined) arts and sciences. The preferred specification is used to evaluate ray economies of scale, product-specific economies of scale and economies of scope. Estimates of average incremental costs are also provided. Results from OLS and stochastic frontier methods are compared.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 3 (1996)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Other versions of this item:
- Geraint Johnes, . "Multi-Product Cost Functions and the Funding of Tuition in UK Universities," Working Papers ec6/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- E Thanassoulis & G Johnes & Jill Johnes, 2005. "An analysis of costs in institutions of higher education in England," Working Papers 566942, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Malcolm Abbot & Hristos Doucouliagos, 2003.
"Research Output of Australian Universities,"
2003_04, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Colin Glass, J. & McCallion, Gillian & McKillop, Donal G. & Rasaratnam, Syamarlah & Stringer, Karl S., 2006. "Implications of variant efficiency measures for policy evaluations in UK higher education," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 119-142, June.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2007:i:15:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- G. Johnes, 1997. "Costs in UK Higher Education: A System-Wide Perspective," CERT Discussion Papers 9707, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- G Johnes, 2005.
"Funding formulae where costs legitimately differ: the case of higher education in England,"
574022, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Geraint Johnes, 2007. "Funding Formulae where Costs Legitimately Differ: The Case of Higher Education in England," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 385-404.
- repec:lan:wpaper:4381 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:1121 is not listed on IDEAS
- Abbott, M. & Doucouliagos, C., 2003. "The efficiency of Australian universities: a data envelopment analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-97, February.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1043 is not listed on IDEAS
- G Johnes & Jill Johnes, 2005.
"Higher education institutions' costs and efficiency: taking the decomposition a further step,"
574007, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Johnes, Geraint & Johnes, Jill, 2009. "Higher education institutions' costs and efficiency: Taking the decomposition a further step," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 107-113, February.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1058 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:4509 is not listed on IDEAS
- Geraint Johnes & Manuel Salas-Velasco, 2007. "The Determinants Of Costs And Efficiencies Where Producers Are Heterogeneous: The Case Of Spanish Universities," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(15), pages 1-9.
- repec:lan:wpaper:4813 is not listed on IDEAS
- Abdullahi Abdulkadri & Michael Langemeier & Allen Featherstone, 2006. "Estimating economies of scope and scale under price risk and risk aversion," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(2), pages 191-201.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1044 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.