Volatility and mean spillovers between sovereign and banking sector CDS markets: a note on the European sovereign debt crisis
AbstractThis article empirically assesses causality-in-variance and causality-in-mean between the Eurozone banking sector Credit Default Swap (CDS) index and the Greek sovereign CDS spread. We employ the Cross-Correlation Function (CCF) approach developed by Hong (2001) to daily data from January 2008 to December 2011. Our key findings are twofold. First, before the European sovereign debt crisis, significant unidirectional causality-in-variance and causality-in-mean were found from the bank CDS to the Greek sovereign CDS spreads. Second, during the crisis period, we detected significant causality-in-variance from the Greek sovereign CDS spreads to the bank CDS, implying that the deteriorated Greek sovereign solvency might have triggered contagion effects on the banking sector in the area. Our results are relevant for policymakers who provide regulations for the CDS markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 20 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos & Vergos, Konstantinos, 2012.
"Sovereign Bond Yield Spillovers in the Euro Zone During the Financial and Debt Crisis,"
43284, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos & Vergos, Konstantinos, 2013. "Sovereign bond yield spillovers in the Euro zone during the financial and debt crisis," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 258-272.
- Tamakoshi, Go & Hamori, Shigeyuki, 2014. "On cross-currency transmissions between US dollar and euro LIBOR-OIS spreads," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 83-90.
- Ahmad, Wasim & Sehgal, Sanjay & Bhanumurthy, N.R., 2013. "Eurozone crisis and BRIICKS stock markets: Contagion or market interdependence?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 209-225.
- Tamakoshi, Go & Hamori, Shigeyuki, 2014. "Spillovers among CDS indexes in the US financial sector," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 104-113.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.