Testing Marshall-Lerner condition: a non-parametric approach
AbstractIn this study, non-parametric kernel estimation technique has been employed to estimate import and export price elasticities for six developed countries. Based on the estimates of these elasticities Marshall-Lerner condition has been examined. In general the condition is only partially satisfied in the sub-sample periods. The results also suggest that the condition is more likely to be satisfied under fixed exchange rate regime.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Other versions of this item:
- Syed Mahmud & M. Eray Yucel, 2001. "Testing Marshall-Lerner Condition : A Non-Parametric Approach," Departmental Working Papers 0102, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521586115, December.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Niroomand, Farhang, 1998. "Long-run price elasticities and the Marshall-Lerner condition revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 101-109, October.
- Matesanz Gómez, David & Fugarolas Álvarez-Ude, Guadalupe, 2006.
"Exchange rate policy and trade balance. A cointegration analysis of the argentine experience since 1962,"
151, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2006.
- David Matesanz & Guadalupe Fugarolas, 2009. "Exchange rate policy and trade balance: a cointegration analysis of the Argentine experience since 1962," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(20), pages 2571-2582.
- Luis Satre Jiménez, 2010. "Municipal Bonds. A Viable Funding Option For Oradea Local Public Administration (Romania)," Economic Analysis Working Papers (2002-2010). Atlantic Review of Economics (2011-2013), Colexio de Economistas de A Coruña, Spain and Fundación Una Galicia Moderna, vol. 9, pages 1-8, November.
- Bollino, Carlo Andrea, 2007. "Oil prices and the U.S. trade deficit," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 729-738.
- Sastre, Luis, 2012. "Simultaneity between export and import flows and the Marshall–Lerner condition," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 879-883.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.