Economic growth and water use
AbstractIn recent years the issue of global water scarcity has attracted increasing attention within academia, non-governmental organizations and the media. The aim of this short note is to ascertain whether there is a systematic relationship between water use and income, and particularly whether an inverted U-shaped relationship exists, as has been found for other resources and pollutants. Using a new data set of water use, evidence of such a relationship is provided, suggesting that water use may benefit from composition and technique effects. While this finding appears optimistic, regional forecasts are made that suggest that levels of water use in developing regions will continue to increase for many years to come. The implications of these findings are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/13504851.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cole, M.A. & Rayner, A.J. & Bates, J.M., 1997. "The environmental Kuznets curve: an empirical analysis," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 401-416, November.
- Grossman, Gene M & Krueger, Alan B, 1995.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 353-77, May.
- John Hoehn & Kwami Adanu, 2008.
"Do growth, investment, and trade encourage water use or water conservation?,"
AStA Wirtschafts- und Sozialstatistisches Archiv,
Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 127-146, December.
- John Hoehn & Kwami Adanu, 2008. "Do growth, investment, and trade encourage water use or water conservation?," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 127-146, December.
- Yoo, Seung-Hoon & Lee, Joo-Suk, 2010. "Electricity consumption and economic growth: A cross-country analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 622-625, January.
- Rosa Duarte & Vicente Pinilla & Ana Serrano, 2012. "Is there an environmental Kuznets curve for water use? A panel smooth transition regression approach," Documentos de Trabajo dt2012-03, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.