An alternative approach to examining the ripple effect in UK house prices
AbstractThis article examines the possibility of a ripple effect being present in the UK housing market using a previously unconsidered two-stage procedure. According to Drake, the ripple effect hypothesises that changes in house prices occurs earlier and more extensively in the South East of England than in other regions of the UK. Via application of non-parametric testing and business cycle dating techniques, evidence in favour of a ripple effect is derived.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Birchenhall, Chris R & Osborn, Denise R & Sensier, Marianne, 2001.
"Predicting UK Business Cycle Regimes,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 48(2), pages 179-95, May.
- Chris R. Birchenhall & Marianne Sensier & Denise R. Osborn, 2000. "Predicting Uk Business Cycle Regimes," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 134, Society for Computational Economics.
- Chris Birchenhall & Marianne Sensier, 2000. "Predicting UK Business Cycle Regimes," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0953, Econometric Society.
- C R Birchenhall & D R Osborn & M Sensier, 2000. "Predicting UK Business Cycle Regimes," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 02, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- McDonald, Ronald & Taylor, Mark P, 1993. "Regional House Prices in Britain: Long-Run Relationships and Short-Run Dynamics," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 40(1), pages 43-55, February.
- Ashworth, John & Parker, Simon C, 1997. "Modelling Regional House Prices in the UK," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 44(3), pages 225-46, August.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Gil-Alana, Luis A. & Payne, James E., 2012. "Comovements among U.S. state housing prices: Evidence from fractional cointegration," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 936-942.
- Payne, James E., 2012. "The Long-Run Relationship among Regional Housing Prices: An Empirical Analysis of the U.S," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 42(1).
- Nicholas Apergis & Beatrice D. Simo-Kengne & Rangan Gupta, 2013. "Convergence in Provincial-Level South African House Prices: Evidence from the Club Convergence and Clustering Procedure," Working Papers 201322, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Steve Cook & Duncan Watson, 2013. "Breaks and Convergence in U.S. Regional Crime Rates: Analysis of Their Presence and Implications," Social Sciences, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(3), pages 180-190, August.
- Nicholas Apergis & James Payne, 2012. "Convergence in U.S. house prices by state: evidence from the club convergence and clustering procedure," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 103-111, July.
- Zohrabyan, Tatevik & Leatham, David J. & Bessler, David A., 2008. "Cointegration Analysis of Regional House Prices in U.S," Proceedings: 2007 Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition, October 4-5, 2007, St. Louis, Missouri 48138, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- repec:asi:ajoerj:2013:p:785-807 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Seema Narayan, 2011.
"The importance of real and nominal shocks on the UK housing market,"
Financial Econometics Series
2011_05, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Seema Narayan & Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2011. "The Importance of Real and Nominal Shocks on the UK Housing Market," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 10(3), pages 219-234, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.