Use of ratios in data envelopment analysis
AbstractIt is often necessary to use ratios rather than absolute numbers as inputs and outputs in data envelopment analysis. This may be necessary in order to reflect accurately the underlying production function, or because of the nature of the data available. This note explains why the Banker, Charnes and Cooper formulation of DEA must be used when a ratio model is deployed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Tiemann, Oliver & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2011.
"Changes in hospital efficiency after privatization,"
hche Research Papers
2011/02, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche), University of Hamburg.
- Oliver Tiemann & Jonas Schreyögg, 2012. "Changes in hospital efficiency after privatization," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 310-326, December.
- Tiemann, Oliver & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2011. "Changes in hospital efficiency after privatization," hche Research Papers 2011/02, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche), University of Hamburg.
- Eduardo González & Ana Cárcaba & Juan Ventura, 2011. "The Importance of the Geographic Level of Analysis in the Assessment of the Quality of Life: The Case of Spain," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 102(2), pages 209-228, June.
- Halkos, George E. & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2012. "Analyzing the Greek renewable energy sector: A Data Envelopment Analysis approach," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 2884-2893.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011. "A nonparametric analysis of the Greek renewable energy sector," MPRA Paper 30467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2010. "Performance evaluation using bootstrapping DEA techniques: Evidence from industry ratio analysis," MPRA Paper 25072, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George Halkos & Nickolaos Tzeremes, 2013. "National culture and eco-efficiency: an application of conditional partial nonparametric frontiers," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 15(4), pages 423-441, October.
- Amado, Carla A.F. & Santos, Sérgio P. & Marques, Pedro M., 2012. "Integrating the Data Envelopment Analysis and the Balanced Scorecard approaches for enhanced performance assessment," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 390-403.
- Ali Emrouznejad & Emilyn Cabanda, 2010. "An aggregate measure of financial ratios using a multiplicative DEA model," International Journal of Financial Services Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(2), pages 114-126.
- Azadeh, A. & Moghaddam, M. & Asadzadeh, S.M. & Negahban, A., 2011. "An integrated fuzzy simulation-fuzzy data envelopment analysis algorithm for job-shop layout optimization: The case of injection process with ambiguous data," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 214(3), pages 768-779, November.
- Wang, Wei-Kang & Lu, Wen-Min & Lin, Yi-Ling, 2012. "Does corporate governance play an important role in BHC performance? Evidence from the U.S," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 751-760.
- Amy H. I. Lee & Chun Yu Lin & He-Yau Kang & Wen Hsin Lee, 2012. "An Integrated Performance Evaluation Model for the Photovoltaics Industry," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(4), pages 1271-1291, April.
- Wei-Kang Wang & Wen-Min Lu & Yu-Han Wang, 2013. "The relationship between bank performance and intellectual capital in East Asia," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 1041-1062, February.
- José Manuel Cordero Ferrera & Francisco Pedraja Chaparro & Javier Salinas Jiménez, 2005. "Secondary schools efficiencyand non-controllable inputs: sensibility of the results to different DEA model specifications," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 173(2), pages 61-83, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.