Use of ratios in data envelopment analysis
AbstractIt is often necessary to use ratios rather than absolute numbers as inputs and outputs in data envelopment analysis. This may be necessary in order to reflect accurately the underlying production function, or because of the nature of the data available. This note explains why the Banker, Charnes and Cooper formulation of DEA must be used when a ratio model is deployed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Moran, Valerie & Jacobs, Rowena, 2013. "An international comparison of efficiency of inpatient mental health care systems," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 88-99.
- Wang, Wei-Kang & Lu, Wen-Min & Lin, Yi-Ling, 2012. "Does corporate governance play an important role in BHC performance? Evidence from the U.S," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 751-760.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011. "A nonparametric analysis of the Greek renewable energy sector," MPRA Paper 30467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tiemann, Oliver & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2011.
"Changes in hospital efficiency after privatization,"
hche Research Papers
2011/02, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche), University of Hamburg.
- Oliver Tiemann & Jonas Schreyögg, 2012. "Changes in hospital efficiency after privatization," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 310-326, December.
- Tiemann, Oliver & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2011. "Changes in hospital efficiency after privatization," hche Research Papers 2011/02, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche), University of Hamburg.
- Blackburn, Vincent & Brennan, Shae & Ruggiero, John, 2014. "Measuring efficiency in Australian Schools: A preliminary analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 4-9.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2010. "Performance evaluation using bootstrapping DEA techniques: Evidence from industry ratio analysis," MPRA Paper 25072, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wei-Kang Wang & Wen-Min Lu & Yu-Han Wang, 2013. "The relationship between bank performance and intellectual capital in East Asia," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 1041-1062, February.
- Azadeh, A. & Moghaddam, M. & Asadzadeh, S.M. & Negahban, A., 2011. "An integrated fuzzy simulation-fuzzy data envelopment analysis algorithm for job-shop layout optimization: The case of injection process with ambiguous data," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 214(3), pages 768-779, November.
- Amado, Carla A.F. & Santos, Sérgio P. & Marques, Pedro M., 2012. "Integrating the Data Envelopment Analysis and the Balanced Scorecard approaches for enhanced performance assessment," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 390-403.
- Eduardo González & Ana Cárcaba & Juan Ventura, 2011. "The Importance of the Geographic Level of Analysis in the Assessment of the Quality of Life: The Case of Spain," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 102(2), pages 209-228, June.
- Halkos, George E. & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2012. "Analyzing the Greek renewable energy sector: A Data Envelopment Analysis approach," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 2884-2893.
- Sérgio P. Santos & Carla A.E. Amado & Mauro F. Santos, 2012.
"Assessing the Efficiency of Mother-to-Child HIV Prevention in Low- and Middle-Income Countries using Data Envelopment Analysis,"
CEFAGE-UE Working Papers
2012_02, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Sérgio Santos & Carla Amado & Mauro Santos, 2012. "Assessing the efficiency of mother-to-child HIV prevention in low- and middle-income countries using data envelopment analysis," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 206-222, September.
- George Halkos & Nickolaos Tzeremes, 2013. "National culture and eco-efficiency: an application of conditional partial nonparametric frontiers," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 15(4), pages 423-441, October.
- Varabyova, Yauheniya & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2013. "International comparisons of the technical efficiency of the hospital sector: Panel data analysis of OECD countries using parametric and non-parametric approaches," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 70-79.
- Hiroyuki Kawaguchi & Kaoru Tone & Miki Tsutsui, 2014. "Estimation of the efficiency of Japanese hospitals using a dynamic and network data envelopment analysis model," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 101-112, June.
- Gary Ferrier & Julie Trivitt, 2013. "Incorporating quality into the measurement of hospital efficiency: a double DEA approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 337-355, December.
- Ali Emrouznejad & Emilyn Cabanda, 2010. "An aggregate measure of financial ratios using a multiplicative DEA model," International Journal of Financial Services Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(2), pages 114-126.
- José Manuel Cordero Ferrera & Francisco Pedraja Chaparro & Javier Salinas Jiménez, 2005. "Secondary schools efficiencyand non-controllable inputs: sensibility of the results to different DEA model specifications," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 173(2), pages 61-83, June.
- Jesus Pastor & Juan Aparicio & Juan Monge & Diego Pastor, 2013. "Modeling CRS bounded additive DEA models and characterizing their Pareto-efficient points," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 285-292, December.
- Amy H. I. Lee & Chun Yu Lin & He-Yau Kang & Wen Hsin Lee, 2012. "An Integrated Performance Evaluation Model for the Photovoltaics Industry," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(4), pages 1271-1291, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.