Effects of capital taxation on economies with different demographic changes: short term versus long term
AbstractWe examine the effect of source-based capital taxation on capital accumulation in countries with endogenous fertility and free international capital mobility. When fertility is constant, a tax cut accelerates domestic capital accumulation through international arbitrage and exerts negative influences on the welfare of a foreign country. In contrast, with endogenous fertility, a tax cut by an economy with a higher tax rate and exporting capital may deter capital accumulation and hence lower the welfare in not only domestic but also foreign economies in the long term, although the tax cut may accelerate domestic capital accumulation in the short term. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2014
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Population Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00148/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huizinga, Harry & Nielsen, Søren Bo, 2008.
"Must losing taxes on saving be harmful?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1183-1192, June.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Linda L. Tesar, 1995.
"Supply-Side Economics in a Global Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
5086, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mendoza, Enrique G & Tesar, Linda L, 1998. "The International Ramifications of Tax Reforms: Supply-Side Economics in a Global Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 226-45, March.
- John F. Helliwell, 2004.
"Demographic Changes and International Factor Mobility,"
NBER Working Papers
10945, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John F. Helliwell, 2004. "Demographic changes and international factor mobility," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Aug, pages 369-420.
- Assaf Razin & Chi-Wa Yuen, 1996.
"Capital Income Taxation and Long Run Growth: New Perspectives,"
NBER Working Papers
5028, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Razin, Assaf & Yuen, Chi-Wa, 1996. "Capital income taxation and long-run growth: New perspectives," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 239-263, February.
- Higgins, Matthew, 1998. "Demography, National Savings, and International Capital Flows," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(2), pages 343-69, May.
- Kemp, M.C. & Wong, K.Y., 1992.
"Gains from Trade with Overlapping Generations,"
92-06, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Kemp, M.C. & Wong, K.Y., 1992. "Gains from Trade with Overlapping Generations," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 92-06, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Zhang, Junsen & Zhang, Jie & Lee, Ronald, 2001. "Mortality decline and long-run economic growth," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 485-507, June.
- Ihori, Toshihiro, 1991. "Capital Income Taxation in a World Economy: A Territorial System versus a Residence System," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 958-65, July.
- WILDASIN, David, .
"Nash equilibria in models of fiscal competition,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-804, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jacob Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1991.
"International Taxation in an Integrated World,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512149, January.
- Gordon, Roger H, 1986. "Taxation of Investment and Savings in a World Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1086-1102, December.
- Harry Huizinga & Soeren Bo Nielsen, .
"Capital Income and Profits Taxation with Foreign Ownerwhip of Firms,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
95-09, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nielsen, Soren Bo, 1997. "Capital income and profit taxation with foreign ownership of firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 149-165, February.
- Huizinga, H.P. & Nielsen, S.B., 1995. "Capital income and profits taxation with foreign ownership of firms," Discussion Paper 1995-82, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Huizinga, H.P. & Nielsen, S.B., 1997. "Capital income and profit taxation with foreign ownership of firms," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-73857, Tilburg University.
- Huizinga, H. & Nielsen, S.B., 1995. "Capital Income and Profits Taxation with Foreign Ownership of Firms," Papers 9582, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Bond, E.W. & Samuelson, L., 1988.
"Strategic Behavior And The Rules For International Taxation Of Capital,"
3-88-10, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Bond, Eric W & Samuelson, Larry, 1989. "Strategic Behaviour and the Rules for International Taxation of Capital," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(398), pages 1099-1111, December.
- Zodrow, George R., 2010. "Capital Mobility And Capital Tax Competition," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 63(4), pages 865-901, December .
- Sibert, Anne, 1990. "Taxing capital in a large, open economy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 297-317, April.
- Momota, Akira & Futagami, Koichi, 2005. "Demographic structure, international lending and borrowing in growing interdependent economies," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 135-162, March.
- van Groezen, Bas & Leers, Theo & Meijdam, Lex, 2003. "Social security and endogenous fertility: pensions and child allowances as siamese twins," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 233-251, February.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2009. "Population and neoclassical economic growth: A new child policy perspective," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 27-30, July.
- Hiroyuki Ito & Ken Tabata, 2010. "The spillover effects of population aging, international capital flows, and welfare," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 665-702, March.
- Akira Yakita, 2012. "Different demographic changes and patterns of trade in a Heckscher–Ohlin setting," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 853-870, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.