Private Information: Similarity as Compatibility
AbstractWe investigate the continuity of equilibrium in differential information economies with a finite number of agents. In this setting, agents can make contingent contracts based on events that are commonly observed. With private information modelled as finite partitions of a compact and metrizable space of states of nature, we introduce a topology on information that takes into account the compatibility of information fields in assessing similarity between private information fields. This topology allows us to establish upper semicontinuity of the private core correspondence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 30 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cotter, Kevin D., 1987. "Convergence of information, random variables and noise," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 39-51, February.
- Cotter, Kevin D., 1986. "Similarity of information and behavior with a pointwise convergence topology," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 25-38, February.
- Ezra Einy & Ori Haimanko & Diego Moreno & Benyamin Shitovitz, 2005.
"On the continuity of equilibrium and core correspondences in economies with differential information,"
Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 793-812, November.
- Ezra Einy & Ori Haimanko & Diego Moreno & Benyamin Shitovitz, 2003. "On The Continuity Of Equilibrium And Core Correspondences In Economies With Differential Information," Economics Working Papers we032707, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Erik Balder & Nicholas Yannelis, 2006. "Continuity properties of the private core," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 453-464, October.
- HILDENBRAND, Werner & MERTENS, Jean-François, .
"Upper hemi-continuity of the equilibrium set correspondence for pure exchange economies,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-109, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hildenbrand, W & Mertens, J F, 1972. "Upper Hemi-Continuity of the Equilibrium-Set Correspondence for Pure Exchange Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(1), pages 99-108, January.
- Kannai, Yakar, 1970. "Continuity Properties of the Core of a Market," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(6), pages 791-815, November.
- Carlos Hervés-Beloso & V. Martins-da-Rocha & Paulo Monteiro, 2009.
"Equilibrium theory with asymmetric information and infinitely many states,"
Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 295-320, February.
- Hervés-Beloso, Carlos & Martins-da-Rocha, Victor Filipe & Monteiro, Paulo Klinger, 2008. "Equilibrium theory with asymmetric information and infinitely many states," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 673, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Khan, M. Ali & Sun, Yeneng & Tourky, Rabee & Zhang, Zhixiang, 2008. "Similarity of differential information with subjective prior beliefs," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(9-10), pages 1024-1039, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.