Convergence for difference equations with vanishing time-dependence, with applications to adaptive learning
AbstractWe provide conditions for local stability and instability of an equilibrium point in certain systems of nonautonomous nonstochastic difference equations. In the systems under study the influence of time is present through a positive scalar "gain" parameter which converges in the limit to zero. These systems have recently been used to study the dynamics of adaptive learning in economic models, and we provide two economic illustrations of the formal results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Note: Received: October 7, 1997; revised version: February 8, 1999
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Seppo Honkapohja & Kaushik Mitra, .
"Learning with Bounded Memory in Stochastic Models,"
00/42, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Honkapohja, S. & Mitra, K., 1999. "Learning with Bounded Memory in Stochastic Models," University of Helsinki, Department of Economics 456, Department of Economics.
- Kaushik Mitra & Seppo Honkapohja, 1999. "Learning with Bounded Memory in Stochastic Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 221, Society for Computational Economics.
- Atanas Christev, 2007.
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006
126, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Lettau, Martin & Van Zandt, Timothy, 2001.
"Robustness of Adaptive Expectations as an Equilibrium Selection Device,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2882, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lettau, M. & Van Zandt, T., 1995. "Robustness of Adaptive Expections as an Equilibrium Selection Device," Papers 9598, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.