The impact of imports on price-cost margins: An empirical illustration
AbstractThis article decomposes the impact of imports on domestic price-cost margins into separate price and cost effects. Using data from 24 food-processing industries, the empirical results show that although the direct impact of imports on prices is always negative, a positive net impact on price-cost margins occurs in industries characterized by low own-price elasticity of demand and diseconomies of scale. Further results show that the disciplining effect of imports is more preponderant the lower the degree of domestic competition. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2003
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (04)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Rigoberto A. Lopez & Elena Lopez, 2001. "The Impact of Imports on Price-Cost Margins: An Empirical Illustration," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 061, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Lopez, Elena, 2001. "The Impact of Imports on Price-Cost Margins: An Empirical Illustration," Research Reports 25153, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- cla - - - - - -
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haubrich, Joseph G. & Lambson, Val Eugene, 1986. "Dynamic collusion in an open economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 75-78.
- Esposito, Louis & Esposito, Frances Ferguson, 1971. "Foreign Competition and Domestic Industry Profitability," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(4), pages 343-53, November.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Wayne Gray, 1996. "The NBER Manufacturing Productivity Database," NBER Technical Working Papers 0205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pagoulatos, Emilio & Sorensen, Robert, 1986. "What determines the elasticity of industry demand?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 237-250, September.
- James Levinsohn, 1991.
"Testing the Imports-as-Market-Discipline Hypothesis,"
NBER Working Papers
3657, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levinsohn, James, 1993. "Testing the imports-as-market-discipline hypothesis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1-2), pages 1-22, August.
- Levinsohn, J., 1991. "Testing the Imports-As-Market-Discipline Hypothesis," Working Papers 272, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Neumann, Manfred & Bobel, Ingo & Haid, Alfred, 1985. "Domestic concentration, foreign trade and economic performance," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Catherine J. Morrison, 1990. "Market Power, Economic Profitability and Productivity Growth Measurement: An Integrated Structural Approach," NBER Working Papers 3355, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanjib Bhuyan & Rigoberto A. Lopez, 1997. "Oligopoly Power in the Food and Tobacco Industries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 1035-1043.
- Chou, Tein-Chen, 1986. "Concentration, Profitability and Trade in a Simultaneous Equation Analysis: The Case of Taiwan," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(4), pages 429-43, June.
- Marvel, Howard P, 1980. "Foreign Trade and Domestic Competition," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(1), pages 103-22, January.
- Geroski, P. A., 1982. "Simultaneous equations models of the structure-performance paradigm," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 145-158.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Binkley, James & Hertel, Thomas, 2000. "Procompetitive Effects of Foreign Competition on Domestic Markups," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 134-48, February.
- de Ghellinck, Elisabeth & Geroski, Paul A & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988. "Inter-industry Variations in the Effect of Trade on Industry Performance," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(1), pages 1-19, September.
- Marsh, John M. & Brester, Gary W., 2004. "Wholesale-Retail Marketing Margin Behavior in the Beef and Pork Industries," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(01), April.
- Rigoberto A. López & Elena López & Carmen Liron-Espana, 2009. "When is concentration beneficial? Evidence from U.S. manufacturing," Alcamentos 0901, Universidad de Alcalá, Departamento de Economía..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.