Wholesale-Retail Marketing Margin Behavior in the Beef and Pork Industries
AbstractAn econometric model is used to estimate real wholesale-retail marketing margins for beef and pork. From 1970 to 1998, these margins increased by 27% and 149%, while farm-wholesale margins declined. Wholesale-retail (WR) marketing margin increases have caused livestock producers to focus on the retail sector as a contributor to declining real livestock prices. Increases in WR margins may be related to increased demand and costs of value-added food products/services as well as increased market concentration in the retail grocery sector. Results indicate that retail factors, and to a lesser extent meat processing factors, significantly increased WR margins and decreased livestock prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2004)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
livestock prices; retail concentration; retail costs; wholesale-retail marketing margins; Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rigoberto A. Lopez & Elena Lopez, 2001.
"The Impact of Imports on Price-Cost Margins: An Empirical Illustration,"
Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports
061, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Rigoberto A. Lopez & Elena Lopez, 2003. "The impact of imports on price-cost margins: An empirical illustration," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 403-416, 04.
- Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Lopez, Elena, 2001. "The Impact of Imports on Price-Cost Margins: An Empirical Illustration," Research Reports 25153, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Kaufman, Phillip R. & Newton, Doris J. & Handy, Charles R., 1993. "Grocery Retailing Concentration in Metropolitan Areas, 1954-82," Technical Bulletins 157042, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Schroeter, John R. & Azzam, Azzeddine M. & Zhang, Mingxia, 2000.
"Measuring Market Power in Bilateral Oligopoly: The Wholesale Market for Beef,"
Staff General Research Papers
1777, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- John R. Schroeter & Azzeddine M. Azzam, & Mingxia Zhang, 2000. "Measuring Market Power in Bilateral Oligopoly: The Wholesale Market for Beef," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 526-547, January.
- Azzam, Azzeddine M. & Schroeter, John R., 1995. "The Tradeoff Between Oligopsony Power and Cost Efficiency in Horizontal Consolidation: An Example from Beef Packing," Staff General Research Papers 5062, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- A. M. Azzam & E. Pagoulatos, 1990. "Testing Oligopolistic And Oligopsonistic Behaviour: An Application To The Us Meat-Packing Industry," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 362-370.
- Ward, Clement E., 2002. "A Review of Causes for and Consequences of Economic Concentration in the U.S. Meatpacking Industry," CAFRI: Current Agriculture, Food and Resource Issues, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society, issue 03.
- Hahn, William F. & Green, Richard D., 2000. "Joint Costs In Meat Retailing," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
- A. M. Azzam, 1992. "Testing The Competitiveness Of Food Price Spreads," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 248-256.
- Melton, Brian & Huffman, Wallace, 1995. "Beef and Pork Packing Costs and Input Demands: Effects of Unionization and Technology," Staff General Research Papers 5043, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Cotterill, Ronald W., 1999. "Continuing Concentration in the U.S.: Strategic Challenges to an Unstable Status Quo," Research Reports 25165, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Elitzak, Howard, 1999. "Food Cost Review, 1950-97," Agricultural Economics Reports 34053, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Brester, Gary W., 2006. "Research and Publishing: Relevance and Irreverence," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
- Maples, Josh & Harri, Ardian & Riley, John Michael & Tack, Jesse B., 2013. "Marketing Margins and Input Price Uncertainty," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150604, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.