The Productivity and Supply of Urban Infrastructures
AbstractThe paper examines the productivity and supply of urban infrastructure capital using a panel data set of 85 West German cities. A simple theoretical framework is used to infer the impact of infrastructure services on private production cost. Assuming local firms to operate under perfect market conditions we derive an optimal local infrastructure supply rule and an optimal business capital tax rate. The empirical part of the paper proceeds by a two step procedure. In a first step we examine the productivity of urban infrastructure service provision by evaluating the cost reductions that are associated with the supply of infrastructures. In a second step, the adjustment of the urban infrastructure capital stock and the urban business tax rate is estimated, incorporating the estimated monetary productivity effects as well as some simple interjurisdictional competition variables into the empirical model.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 29 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Achim Kemmerling & Andreas Stephan, 2000. "Political Economy of Infrastructure Investment Allocation: Evidence from a Panel of Large German Cities," CIG Working Papers FS IV 00-03, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Rosina Moreno, 1998. "Public infrastructure, private capital and the performance of manufactures: short and long run effects," ERSA conference papers ersa98p165, European Regional Science Association.
- Gunasekera, Kumudu & Anderson, William & Lakshmanan, T.R., 2008. "Highway-Induced Development: Evidence from Sri Lanka," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2371-2389, November.
- Thiess Buettner, 2001.
"Local Business Taxation and Competition for Capital: The Choice of the Tax Rate,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
440, CESifo Group Munich.
- Buettner, Thiess, 2001. "Local business taxation and competition for capital: the choice of the tax rate," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2-3), pages 215-245, April.
- Büttner, Thiess, 1998. "Local Business Taxation and Competition for Capital: The Choice of the Tax Rate," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-43, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Alfredo M. Pereira & Jorge M. Andraz, 2013.
"On The Economic Effects Of Public Infrastructure Investment: A Survey Of The International Evidence,"
Journal of Economic Development,
Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 1-37, December.
- Alfredo Marvão Pereira & Jorge M. Andraz, 2013. "On the economic effects of public infrastructure investment:A survey of the international evidence," Working Papers 108, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Alfredo Pereira & Jorge Andraz, 2012. "On the economic effects of public infrastructure investment: A survey of the international evidence," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_10, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Carmit Shwartz & W. Erwin Diewert & Kevin J. Fox, 2014. "Consumer Benefits of Infrastructure Services," Discussion Papers 2014-17, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Jiwattanakulpaisarn, Piyapong & Noland, Robert B. & Graham, Daniel J., 2010. "Causal linkages between highways and sector-level employment," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 265-280, May.
- Andreas Stephan, 2001.
"Regional Infrastructure Policy and its Impact on Productivity: A Comparison of Germany and France,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 01-02, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Stephanie Aubert & Andreas Stephan, 2000. "Regional Infrastructure Policy and its Impact on Productivity: A Comparison of Germany and France," CIG Working Papers FS IV 00-02, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Helmut Seitz, 2000. "Subnational Bailouts in Germany," Research Department Publications 3097, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Rosina Moreno & Enrique LOpez-bazo & Manuel ArtIs, 2003. "On the effectiveness of private and public capital," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(6), pages 727-740.
- Andreas Stephan, 2000. "The Contribution of Transport and Human Capital Infrastructure to Local Private Production: A Partial Adjustment Approach," CIG Working Papers FS IV 00-20, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Kemmerling, Achim & Stephan, Andreas, 2002.
" The Contribution of Local Public Infrastructure to Private Productivity and Its Political Economy: Evidence from a Panel of Large German Cities,"
Springer, vol. 113(3-4), pages 403-24, December.
- Achim Kemmerling & Andreas Stephan, 2001. "The Contribution of Local Public Infrastructure to Private Productivity and Its Political-Economy: Evidence from a Panel of Large German Cities," CIG Working Papers FS IV 01-14, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Hirte, Georg & Stephan, Andreas, 2014. "Regionale Beschäftigungswirkungen von öffentlichen Investitionen in Straßen- und Schieneninfrastruktur," Discussion Papers 2/2014, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Transportation and Traffic Sciences "Friedrich List", Institute for Transport and Economics.
- Fumitoshi Mizutani & Tomoyasu Tanaka, 2010. "Productivity effects and determinants of public infrastructure investment," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 493-521, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.