Aussenhandel und Auslandsproduktion im Dienstleistungssektor: Theorie und Empirie der Beschäftigungseffekte für die schweizerische Tourismusbranche
AbstractThis paper analyses the potential employment effects of foreign direct investment in the Swiss services industry. First, the theoretical analysis considers the consequences on domestic employment resulting from the specific characteristics of services compared with those of industrial goods. It is demonstrated that conventional research in this field systematically ignores important factors which influence domestic employment. We point out that, not only the degree of tradability of services, but also the mobility of consumers and producers, as well as the motives underlying the decisions for foreign investment have a crucial influence on the consequences to be expected for the domestic labour market. Second, an initial attempt is undertaken to empirically test our theoretical framework. It is shown for the Swiss tourism industry that the obtained results are to a large extent consistent with the theoretical predictions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES) in its journal Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 139 (2003)
Issue (Month): IV (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
foreign direct investment; employment effects; services; tourism;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Recreation; Tourism
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Melenberg, B. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 1991.
"Parametric and semi-parametric modelling of vacation expenditures,"
1991-44, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Melenberg, Bertrand & van Soest, Arthur, 1996. "Parametric and Semi-parametric Modelling of Vacation Expenditures," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 59-76, Jan.-Feb..
- Melenberg, B. & Van Soest, A., 1991. "Parametric and Semi-parametric Modelling of Vocation Expenditures," Papers 9144, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Melenberg, B. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 1996. "Parametric and semi-parametric modelling of vacation expenditures," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-72214, Tilburg University.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N, 1987. "Trade in Services and the Multilateral Trade Negotiations," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 1(4), pages 549-69, September.
- Alesina, Alberto & Wacziarg, Romain, 1998.
"Openness, country size and government,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 305-321, September.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Heinz Hollenstein & Marius Ley & Tobias Stucki, 2011. "Die Internationalisierung der Schweizer Wirtschaft," KOF Analysen, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich, vol. 5(2), pages 51-62, June.
- Palle S. Andersen & P. Hainaut, 1998. "Foreign direct investment and employment in the industrial countries," BIS Working Papers 61, Bank for International Settlements.
- Marc Bacchetta, 1997. "European Economic Integration and Swiss Foreign Direct Investment," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 133(I), pages 3-18, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.