Modeling Joint Purchases with a Multivariate MNL Approach
AbstractOur research examines the hypothesis that products chosen on a shopping trip to a supermarket indicate the preference interdependencies of consumers between different products or brands. The bundle chosen on the trip can be regarded as an indicator of a global utility function. This function implies a cross-category dependence of brand choice behavior. We hypothesize that the global utility function related to a product bundle is the result of the marketing-mix of the underlying brands. The structure of the chosen products allows us to uncover the impact of certain marketing-mix variables and product bundle buying behavior.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by LMU Munich School of Management in its journal Schmalenbach Business Review.
Volume (Year): 60 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Choice Model; Market Basket Analysis; Spatial Statistics; Theorem of Besag;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Katrin Dippold & Harald Hruschka, 2013. "Variable selection for market basket analysis," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 519-539, April.
- Dippold, Katrin & Hruschka, Harald, 2010. "Variable Selection for Market Basket Analysis," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 443, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (sbr) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask sbr to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.