Technical Efficiency of Rice-Producing Households in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam
AbstractTechnical Efficiency (TE) is an estimation of the ability of a household to produce the maximum output with the given inputs. It is usually estimated by using the data envelopment analysis (DEA) and stochastic frontier analysis (SFA). Data collected from 261 rice-farming households in the Mekongn Delta were used in the empirical analysis. Results show that the average TE among the surveyed households is above 76 percent in both the Constant (CRS) and the Variable Returns to Scale (VRS). The average scale efficiency score for these rice-producing households is nearly one. The determinants of the quantity of rice or yields and of the TE for the households are significantly associated with some variables such as the plot size, seed, and hired labor cost. However, technical inefficiency significantly depends on the farmers’ farming experience and adoption of advanced farming practices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture in its journal Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development.
Volume (Year): 6 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Note: ORDER INFORMATION. Dr. Mariliza V. Ticsay, SEARCA, College, 4031 Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines. E-mail:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: College 4031, Laguna, Philippines
Phone: (63-49) 536-2365
Fax: (63-49) 536-7097
Web page: http://www.searca.org/
More information through EDIRC
technical efficiency; rice household; DEA; SFA;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Minot, Nicholas, 2003. "Income Diversification And Poverty Reduction In The Northern Uplands Of Vietnam," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22029, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Tom Kompas, 2004. "Market reform, productivity and efficiency in Vietnamese rice production," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec04-4, International and Development Economics.
- Chen, Yao & Iqbal Ali, Agha, 2002. "Output-input ratio analysis and DEA frontier," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(3), pages 476-479, November.
- Tijani, A.A., 2006. "Analysis of the technical efficiency of rice farms in Ijesha Land of Osun State, Nigeria," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 45(2), June.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Richard T. Yao & Gerald E. Shively, 2007. "Technical Change and Productive Efficiency: Irrigated Rice in the Philippines ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 21(2), pages 155-168, 06.
- Den, Do Thi & Ancev, Tihomir & Harris, Michael, 2007. "Technical Efficiency of Prawn Farms in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam," 2007 Conference (51st), February 13-16, 2007, Queenstown, New Zealand 10351, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudia Svetlana Z. Cabrera).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.