Productivity, Net Returns, and Efficiency: Land and Market Reform in Vietnamese Rice Production
AbstractExtensive land and market reform in Vietnam has resulted in dramatic increases in rice output and incomes. This is illustrated with measures of total factor productivity, net incomes, and net returns in rice production from 1985 to 2006. Results show considerable gains in major rice growing areas, but recent evidence of a productivity slowdown. The differences over time and region speak to existing land use practice, calling for further reform. Estimations detail the effects of remaining institutional and policy constraints, including existing restrictions on land use, ambiguous property rights, and inadequate markets for land and access to extension services and credit.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 88 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & Ha Quang Nguyen & Hoa Thi Minh Nguyen, 2009. "Productivity, Net Returns and Efficiency: Land and Market Reform in Vietnamese Rice Production," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec09-02, International and Development Economics.
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Tuong Nhu Che & Tom Kompas & Neil Vousden, 2006. "Market Reform, Incentives and Economic Development in Vietnamese Rice Production," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(2), pages 277-301, June.
- Glewwe, Paul & Gragnolati, Michele & Zaman, Hassan, 2002. "Who Gained from Vietnam's Boom in the 1990s?," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(4), pages 773-92, July.
- Schmidt, Peter & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1979. "Estimating technical and allocative inefficiency relative to stochastic production and cost frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 343-366, February.
- Tom Kompas, 2004. "Market reform, productivity and efficiency in Vietnamese rice production," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec04-4, International and Development Economics.
- Kodde, David A. & Palm, Franz C., 1986.
"Wald criteria for jointly testing equality and inequality restrictions,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-5750, Maastricht University.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- Nhu Che, Tuong & Kompas, Tom & Vousden, Neil, 2001. "Incentives and static and dynamic gains from market reform: rice production in Vietnam," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(4), December.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Forsund, Finn R. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1980. "A survey of frontier production functions and of their relationship to efficiency measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 5-25, May.
- Van Hung, Pham & MacAulay, T. Gordon & Marsh, Sally P., 2007. "The economics of land fragmentation in the north of Vietnam," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), June.
- Kalirajan, K P & Obwona, M B, 1994. "Frontier Production Function: The Stochastic Coefficients Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(1), pages 87-96, February.
- Deininger, Klaus & Songqing Jin, 2003.
"Land sales and rental markets in transition - evidence from rural Viet Nam,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3013, The World Bank.
- Klaus Deininger & Songqing Jin, 2008. "Land Sales and Rental Markets in Transition: Evidence from Rural Vietnam," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(1), pages 67-101, 02.
- Deininger, Klaus W. & Jin, Songqing, 2005. "Land Sales and Rental Markets in Transition: Evidence from Rural Vietnam," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19359, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sicular, Terry, 1988. "Plan and Market in China's Agricultural Commerce," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 283-307, April.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- McMillan, John & Whalley, John & Zhu, Lijing, 1989. "The Impact of China's Economic Reforms on Agricultural Productivity Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 781-807, August.
- Brennan, Donna C. & Petersen, Elizabeth H. & Que, Nguyen Ngoc & Vanzetti, David, 2012. "Rural-Urban Migration and Vietnamese Agriculture," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 124405, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- User:Martynleigh/sandbox in Wikipedia (English)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.