Production and Efficiency in Association Football
AbstractDespite their proliferation, sporting production function studies remain almost entirely U.S.-based, concentrating largely (although not exclusively) on baseball. Mainly due to a dearth of match-play statistics, there have been few studies of other, more interactive sports. This study attempts to partly fill the gap by using a new data source containing information on specific match-play variables to estimate a season-based production function for English Premiership association football teams. On the basis of computed residuals, the authors also identify those teams shown to be relatively efficient and inefficient in various aspects of match plays.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by in its journal Journal of Sports Economics.
Volume (Year): 2 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Young Hoon Lee, 2011.
"Efficiency Comparison of International Golfers in the LPGA,"
1103, Research Institute for Market Economy, Sogang University, revised 2011.
- Ilhyeok Park & Young Hoon Lee, 2012. "Efficiency Comparison of International Golfers in the LPGA," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 13(4), pages 378-392, August.
- repec:qut:dpaper:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/409336 is not listed on IDEAS
- Agnes Bäker & Mario Mechtel & Karin Vetter, 2012. "Beating thy Neighbor: Derby Effects in German Professional Soccer," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 232(3), pages 224-246, May.
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2005.
"Talent, Past Consumption and/or Popularity - Are German Soccer Celebrities Rosen or Adler Stars?,"
0005, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA), revised 2006.
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2005. "Talent, Past Consumption and/or Popularity - Are German Soccer Celebrities Rosen or Adler Stars?," Working Papers 0043, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised 2006.
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2006. "Talent, Past Consumption and/or Popularity – Are German Soccer Celebrities Rosen or Adler Stars?," IASE Conference Papers 0610, International Association of Sports Economists.
- Barros, Carlos P., 2003. "Incentive Regulation and Efficiency in Sport Organisational Training Activities," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 33-52, May.
- Young Hoon Lee, 2009. "Frontier Models and their Application to the Sports Industry," Working Papers 0903, Research Institute for Market Economy, Sogang University, revised 2009.
- Seung Chan Ahn & Young Hoon Lee, 2011. "Beauty and Productivity:The Case of the Ladies Professional Golf Association," Working Papers 1119, Research Institute for Market Economy, Sogang University, revised 2011.
- Del Corral, Julio, 2012. "Eficiencia en el deporte: Entrenadores en la Primera División del fútbol español 2009-2011/Efficiency in Sports: Coaches in the Spanish Football First Division 2009-2011," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 545-564, Agosto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.