Pay and Performance in Major League Baseball: The Case of the First Family of Free Agents
AbstractIt is well-established that a baseball player's salary is based on his performance, experience, star status, bargaining power, mobility and his team's ability to pay. This paper focuses on veteran players who are on the brink of retirement and on the ...
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 17 (1982)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Myers Caitlin Knowles, 2008.
"Discrimination as a Competitive Device: The Case of Local Television News,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-28, August.
- Caitlin Knowles Myers, 2005. "Discrimination as a Competitive Device: The Case of Local Television News," Middlebury College Working Paper Series 0526, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- Myers, Caitlin Knowles, 2005. "Discrimination as a Competitive Device: The Case of Local Television News," IZA Discussion Papers 1802, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Roberto Antonietti, 2008. "Il ruolo economico dell’arbitro di calcio: una rassegna della letteratura e alcune questioni aperte," Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport, Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 4(3), pages 75-103, Dicembre.
- Stephen L. Ross & Margery Austin Turner & Erin Godfrey & Robin R. Smith, 2005.
"Mortgage Lending in Chicago and Los Angeles: A Paired Testing Study of the Pre-Application Process,"
2005-03, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Ross, Stephen L. & Turner, Margery Austin & Godfrey, Erin & Smith, Robin R., 2008. "Mortgage lending in Chicago and Los Angeles: A paired testing study of the pre-application process," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 902-919, May.
- Ohn, Jonathan K. & Bealing, William & Waeger, Dan, 2012. "The Determinants of Annual Earnings for PGA Players Under the New PGAâ€™s FedEx Cup System," Review of Applied Economics, Review of Applied Economics, vol. 8(1).
- John D. Burger & Stephen J.K. Walters, 2006.
"Testing Fair Wage Theory,"
0623, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Pelnar, Gregory, 2007. "Antitrust Analysis of Sports Leagues," MPRA Paper 5382, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John D. Burger & Stephen J.K. Walters, 2006.
"The Existence and Persistence of a Winner’s Curse: New Evidence from the (Baseball) Field,"
0625, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- John D. Burger & Stephen J.K. Walters, 2008. "The Existence and Persistence of a Winner's Curse: New Evidence from the (Baseball) Field," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 232-245, July.
- R. Antonietti, 2006. "Human Capital, Sport Performance, and Salary Determination of Professional Athletes," Working Papers 561, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Joel Maxcy, 2004. "Motivating long-term employment contracts: risk management in major league baseball," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 109-120.
- D Berri & R Simmons, 2007. "Race and the evaluation of signal callers in the national football league," Working Papers 591147, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Boucher, Michel, 1985. "Coûts de transaction et faible nombre relatif des Canadiens français dans la LNH," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 61(3), pages 388-393, septembre.
- Jennifer K. Ashcraft & Craig A. Depken, II, 2007. "The Introduction of the Reserve Clause in Major League Baseball: Evidence of its Impact on Select Player Salaries During the 1880s," Working Papers 0710, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Depken II, Craig A. & Ford, Jon M., 2006. "Customer-based discrimination against major league baseball players: Additional evidence from All-star ballots," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1061-1077, December.
- Jahn K. Hakes & Chad Turner, 2008. "Long-Term Contracts in Major League Baseball," Working Papers 0831, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Torbern Anderson & Sumner J. La Croix, 1989. "Minority Pitchers in Major League Baseball: Is There Discrimination by Fans?," Working Papers 198913, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.