Pay and Performance in Major League Baseball: The Case of the First Family of Free Agents
AbstractIt is well-established that a baseball player's salary is based on his performance, experience, star status, bargaining power, mobility and his team's ability to pay. This paper focuses on veteran players who are on the brink of retirement and on the ...
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 17 (1982)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John Burger & Stephen Walters, 2008.
"Testing Fair Wage Theory,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 318-332, December.
- Caitlin Knowles Myers, 2005.
"Discrimination as a Competitive Device: The Case of Local Television News,"
Middlebury College Working Paper Series
0526, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- Myers Caitlin Knowles, 2008. "Discrimination as a Competitive Device: The Case of Local Television News," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-28, August.
- Myers, Caitlin Knowles, 2005. "Discrimination as a Competitive Device: The Case of Local Television News," IZA Discussion Papers 1802, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joel Maxcy, 2004. "Motivating long-term employment contracts: risk management in major league baseball," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 109-120.
- Ross, Stephen L. & Turner, Margery Austin & Godfrey, Erin & Smith, Robin R., 2008.
"Mortgage lending in Chicago and Los Angeles: A paired testing study of the pre-application process,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 902-919, May.
- Stephen L. Ross & Margery Austin Turner & Erin Godfrey & Robin R. Smith, 2005. "Mortgage Lending in Chicago and Los Angeles: A Paired Testing Study of the Pre-Application Process," Working papers 2005-03, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Pelnar, Gregory, 2007. "Antitrust Analysis of Sports Leagues," MPRA Paper 5382, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John D. Burger & Stephen J.K. Walters, 2008.
"The Existence and Persistence of a Winner's Curse: New Evidence from the (Baseball) Field,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 232-245, July.
- John D. Burger & Stephen J.K. Walters, 2006. "The Existence and Persistence of a Winner’s Curse: New Evidence from the (Baseball) Field," Working Papers 0625, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Jahn K. Hakes & Chad Turner, 2008. "Long-Term Contracts in Major League Baseball," Working Papers 0831, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Ohn, Jonathan K. & Bealing, William & Waeger, Dan, 2012. "The Determinants of Annual Earnings for PGA Players Under the New PGAâ€™s FedEx Cup System," Review of Applied Economics, Review of Applied Economics, vol. 8(1).
- Roberto Antonietti, 2008. "Il ruolo economico dell’arbitro di calcio: una rassegna della letteratura e alcune questioni aperte," Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport, Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 4(3), pages 75-103, Dicembre.
- R. Antonietti, 2006. "Human Capital, Sport Performance, and Salary Determination of Professional Athletes," Working Papers 561, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Jennifer K. Ashcraft & Craig A. Depken, II, 2007. "The Introduction of the Reserve Clause in Major League Baseball: Evidence of its Impact on Select Player Salaries During the 1880s," Working Papers 0710, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Boucher, Michel, 1985. "Coûts de transaction et faible nombre relatif des Canadiens français dans la LNH," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 61(3), pages 388-393, septembre.
- D Berri & R Simmons, 2007. "Race and the evaluation of signal callers in the national football league," Working Papers 591147, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Torbern Anderson & Sumner J. La Croix, 1989. "Minority Pitchers in Major League Baseball: Is There Discrimination by Fans?," Working Papers 198913, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Depken II, Craig A. & Ford, Jon M., 2006. "Customer-based discrimination against major league baseball players: Additional evidence from All-star ballots," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1061-1077, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.