Can We Be Satisfied With Our Football Team? Evidence From Spanish Professional Football
AbstractThis article assesses the sporting performance of Spanish professional football teams at competition level, namely, League, King's Cup, and European competitions (Champions League and Union of European Football Associations [UEFA] Cup). Then, the gap between the result obtained by a team at the end of a season and that expected according to its potential is used as a proxy of the degree of satisfaction that fans should feel: the narrower the gap the greater the level of satisfaction. Regarding methodology, Data Envelopment Analysis techniques and directional distance functions are used. Results reveal that most teams perform rather differently across competitions, the lower average performance corresponding to the King's Cup.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by in its journal Journal of Sports Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Francisco González Gómez & Andrés J. Picazo Tadeo, 2008. "Can we be satisfied with our football team? Evidence from spanish professional football," ThE Papers, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada. 08/11, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benno Torgler & Sascha Schmidt, 2007.
"What shapes player performance in soccer? Empirical findings from a panel analysis,"
Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(18), pages 2355-2369.
- Benno Torgler & Sascha Schmidt, 2005. "What Shapes Players? Performance in Soccer? Empirical Findings from a Panel Analysis," CREMA Working Paper Series, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA) 2005-25, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA), revised Jan 2006.
- S. M. Dobson & J. A. Goddard, 1998. "Performance and revenue in professional league football: evidence from Granger causality tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(12), pages 1641-1651.
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 2000. "Theory and Application of Directional Distance Functions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 93-103, March.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Hofler, Richard A. & Payne, James E., 1997. "Measuring efficiency in the National Basketball Association1," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 293-299, August.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Ohnishi, Kenji & Kinase, Youichi, 1999. "A benchmark approach for baseball evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 429-448, June.
- Stefan Szymanski & Ron Smith, 1997. "The English Football Industry: profit, performance and industrial structure," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 135-153.
- John L. Fizel & Michael P. D'Itri, 1997. "Managerial Efficiency, Managerial Succession and Organizational Performance," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(4), pages 295-308.
- Scully, Gerald W, 1974. "Pay and Performance in Major League Baseball," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 915-30, December.
- Emrouznejad, Ali & Parker, Barnett R. & Tavares, Gabriel, 2008. "Evaluation of research in efficiency and productivity: A survey and analysis of the first 30 years of scholarly literature in DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 151-157, September.
- Peter Dawson & Stephen Dobson & Bill Gerrard, 2000. "Stochastic Frontiers and the Temporal Structure of Managerial Efficiency in English Soccer," Journal of Sports Economics, , , vol. 1(4), pages 341-362, November.
- Dawson, Peter & Dobson, Stephen & Gerrard, Bill, 2000. "Estimating Coaching Efficiency in Professional Team Sports: Evidence from English Association Football," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 47(4), pages 399-421, September.
- Leo Kahane, 2005. "Production Efficiency and Discriminatory Hiring Practices in the National Hockey League: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 47-71, 08.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Stephanie Leach, 2007. "Technical efficiency in the English Football Association Premier League with a stochastic cost frontier," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(10), pages 731-741.
- Caballero Fernández, Rafael & Gómez Núñez, Trinidad & Sala Garrido, Ramón, 2012. "Analysis of the Efficiency of Spanish Soccer League Players (2009/10) Using the Metafrontier Approach/Análisis de la Eficiencia de los Jugadores de fútbol de la Liga Española (2009/10) mediante el ," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 565-578, Agosto.
- Del Corral, Julio, 2012. "Eficiencia en el deporte: Entrenadores en la Primera División del fútbol español 2009-2011/Efficiency in Sports: Coaches in the Spanish Football First Division 2009-2011," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 545-564, Agosto.
- Andrés Picazo-Tadeo & Francisco Gónzalez-Gómez & Jorge Guardiola Wanden-Berghe, 2011. "Referee home bias due to social pressure. Evidence from Spanish football," Working Papers, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia 1119, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.