Organizational performance and managerial turnover
AbstractInvoluntary and voluntary managerial job-termination hazard functions are estimated for English professional soccer for the period 1972-1997. A novel feature is the use of match-level data, which reveals aspects of the hazard otherwise concealed by estimation using annual data. Short-term fluctuations in performance strongly influence the involuntary termination hazard. The latter is also heavily dependent on the team's current league position relative to its position when the manager took charge, and on the win ratio over the entire spell. Managerial human capital attributes are found to have a greater influence on the voluntary rather than on the involuntary termination hazard. Copyright © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (1999)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-82, July.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1979. "Econometric Methods for the Duration of Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 939-56, July.
- Sandra Hentschel & Gerd Mühlheusser & Dirk Sliwka, 2012. "The Impact of Managerial Change on Performance. The Role of Team Heterogeneity," CESifo Working Paper Series 3950, CESifo Group Munich.
- Julio del Corral & Carlos Pestana Barros & Juan Prieto-Rodriguez, 2007. "The Determinants of Soccer Player Substitutions: a Survival Analysis of the Spanish Soccer League," Working Papers 2007/04, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Alfaro, José A. & Tribó, Josep A., 2002. "Consolidación del director general y consecuencias en la política laboral de las empresas," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/14388, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Johansson, Anders C. & Feng, Xunan, 2013. "CEO Incentives in Chinese State-Controlled Firms," Working Paper Series 2013-27, Stockholm China Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Stephanie Leach, 2006. "Performance evaluation of the English Premier Football League with data envelopment analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(12), pages 1449-1458.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Garcia-del-Barrio, Pedro, 2008. "Efficiency measurement of the English football Premier League with a random frontier model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 994-1002, September.
- Bas Weel, 2011. "Does Manager Turnover Improve Firm Performance? Evidence from Dutch Soccer, 1986–2004," De Economist, Springer, vol. 159(3), pages 279-303, September.
- Dobson, Stephen & Goddard, John, 2003. "Persistence in sequences of football match results: A Monte Carlo analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 247-256, July.
- Jardin, Mathieu, 2009. "Efficiency of French football clubs and its dynamics," MPRA Paper 19828, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Audas, Rick & Dobson, Stephen & Goddard, John, 2002. "The impact of managerial change on team performance in professional sports," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 633-650.
- Ray Bachan & Barry Reilly & Robert Witt, 2005. "The Hazard of Being an English Football League Manager: Empirical Estimates from the 2002/3 Season," School of Economics Discussion Papers 1605, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Richard A. Hofler & James E. Payne, 2006. "Efficiency in the National Basketball Association: a stochastic frontier approach with panel data," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(4), pages 279-285.
- José A. Alfaro & Josep A. Tribó, 2001. "Managerial Turnover And Worker Turnover," Business Economics Working Papers wb011304, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- A. Balduck & M. Buelens, 2007. "Does sacking the coach help or hinder the team in the short term? Evidence from Belgian soccer," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/430, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Hentschel, Sandra & Muehlheusser, Gerd & Sliwka, Dirk, 2012. "The Impact of Managerial Change on Performance: The Role of Team Heterogeneity," IZA Discussion Papers 6884, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.