Does Local Firm Ownership Matter?
AbstractA data set for U.S. counties that includes residence status of firm owners is used to assess whether per capita density of locally owned businesses affects local economic growth, compared with nonlocal ownership. The database also permits stratification of firms across different employment size categories. Economic growth models that control for other relevant factors reveal a positive relationship between density of locally owned firms and per capita income growth but only for small (10-99 employees) firms, whereas the density of large (more than 500 workers) firms not owned locally has a negative effect. These results provide strong evidence that local ownership matters for economic growth but only in the small size category. Results are robust across rural and urban counties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by in its journal Economic Development Quarterly.
Volume (Year): 25 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mark D., Partridge & M. Rose, Olfert, 2010.
"The Winner's Choice: Sustainable Economic Strategies for Successful 21st Century Regions,"
29646, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark D. Partridge & M. Rose Olfert, 2011. "The Winners' Choice: Sustainable Economic Strategies for Successful 21st-Century Regions," Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 33(2), pages 143-178.
- Mark Partridge & Rose Olfert, 2011. "The Winners' Choice: Sustainable Economic Strategies for Successful 21st Century Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1655, European Regional Science Association.
- Goetz, Stephan J. & Fleming, David A. & Rupasingha, Anil, 2012. "The Economic Impacts of Self-Employment," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 44(03), August.
- Anil Rupasingha, 2013. "Locally owned: Do local business ownership and size matter for local economic well-being?," Community and Economic Development Discussion Paper 2013-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.