Firms' International Status and Heterogeneity in Performance: Evidence from Italy
AbstractWe revisit the evidence about firms' performance and their international status in a large sample of Italian enterprises. Three results stand out. First, firms engaging in foreign production of final goods, in addition to export activities, are more productivethan firms that only export abroad. Second, firms engaging in final goods off-shoring are more productive than firms engaging ininputs off-shoring. Third, the productivity dynamics of exporters is not any better than non-exporters’ one. Our results support that the better performance of globally engaged firms is chiefly due to the selection caused by the fixed costs associated to internationaloperations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): 97 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (May-June)
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Alfredo Minerva & Lorenzo Casaburi & Valeria Gattai, 2008. "Firms’ International Status and Heterogeneity in Performance: Evidence From Italy," Working Papers 2008.3, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F20 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - General
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011.
"International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5916, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2012. "International trade and firm performance: a survey of empirical studies since 2006," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 235-267, June.
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006," Working Paper Series in Economics 210, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Holger Breinlich & Alessandra Tucci, 2011.
"Foreign market conditions and export performance: does `crowdedness' reduce exports?,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 44(3), pages 991-1019, August.
- Breinlich, Holger & Tucci, Alessandra, 2010. "Foreign Market Conditions and Export Performance: Does 'Crowdedness' Reduce Exports?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7975, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Davide Castellani & Giorgia Giovannetti, 2009.
"Productivity and the international firm: dissecting heterogeneity,"
Development Working Papers
270, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Davide Castellani & Giorgia Giovannetti, 2010. "Productivity and the international firm: dissecting heterogeneity," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42.
- Davide Castellani & Giorgia Giovannetti, 2010. "Productivity and the international firm: dissecting heterogeneity," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42.
- Franco Amatori & Matteo Bugamelli & Andrea Colli, 2011. "Italian Firms in History: Size, Technology and Entrepreneurship," Quaderni di storia economica (Economic History Working Papers) 13, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- R. Antonietti & G. Cainelli, 2010.
"Innovation, productivity and export. Evidence from Italy,"
Working Papers Prin
014, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Roberto Antonietti & Giulio Cainelli, 2010. "Innovation, productivity and export Evidence from Italy," Openloc Working Papers 1017, Public policies and local development.
- Daniela Federici & Valentino Parisi, 2012.
"Corporate Taxation and Exports,"
2012-01, Universita' di Cassino, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.