The European Space of Higher Education: Incentive and Governance Issues
AbstractThis lecture offers thoughts on some issues concerning the effective development of the European space of higher education currently being pushed by the twin forces of the Bologna process and the Lisbon declaration of the EU. It is pointed out that the USA example is a good reference point but cannot be imitated mechanically, given the more segmented reality of Europe. It is noted that the European space could develop first at the graduate level and that the competition for students through reputation effects may play an essential role. The significance of policy initiatives for promoting reform is emphasized. Finally, matters of governance and of incentives (including tenure) are identified as key factors of reform
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal 'Angelo Costa' Lectures Serie.
Volume (Year): (2004)
Issue (Month): Lect. V ()
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Andreu Mas-Colell, 2003. "The European Space of Higher Education: Incentive and Governance Issues," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 93(6), pages 9-27, November-.
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Borghans, Lex & Cörvers, Frank, 2009.
"The Americanization of European Higher Education and Research,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4445, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lex Borghans & Frank Cörvers, 2010. "The Americanization of European Higher Education and Research," NBER Chapters, in: American Universities in a Global Market, pages 231-267 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lex Borghans & Frank Cörvers, 2009. "The Americanization of European Higher Education and Research," NBER Working Papers 15217, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joan Rosselló, 2007. "Does a public university system avoid the stratification of public universities and the segregation of students?," DEA Working Papers 26, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'Economía Aplicada.
- Ana Rute Cardoso, 2008.
"Demand for Higher Education Programs: The Impact of the Bologna Process,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 54(2), pages 229-247, June.
- Fernando Alexandre & Ana Rute Cardoso & Miguel Portela & Carla Sá, 2007. "Demand for Higher Education Programs: The Impact of the Bologna Process," CESifo Working Paper Series 2081, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ana Rute Cardoso & Miguel Portela & Fernando Alexandre & Carla Sá, 2007. "Demand for higher education programs: the impact of the Bologna process," NIPE Working Papers 4/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Cardoso, Ana Rute & Portela, Miguel & Sá, Carla & Alexandre, Fernando, 2006. "Demand for Higher Education Programs: The Impact of the Bologna Process," IZA Discussion Papers 2532, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Manuel Bagues & Mauro Sylos Labini & Natalia Zinovyeva, 2008. "Differential Grading Standards and University Funding: Evidence from Italy," Working Papers 2008-07, FEDEA.
- Borghans Lex & Cörvers Frank, 2009. "The Americanization of European Higher Education and Research," ROA Research Memorandum 010, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Joan Rosselló-Villalonga, 2012.
"Stratification of public universities and students's segretation,"
DEA Working Papers
45, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'Economía Aplicada.
- Joan Rosselló Villalonga, 2013. "Stratification of Public Universities and Students’ Segregation," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 205(2), pages 99-124, June.
- Joan Rosselló, 2006. "Incentives to Research in European Public Universities," DEA Working Papers 24, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'Economía Aplicada.
- Alexis Walckiers, 2008. "Multi-dimensional contracts with task-specific productivity: an application to universities," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 165-198, April.
- Manuela Francisco & Paulo Correa & Mariam Dayoub, 2007. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through in ASEAN: Identifying Supply-Side Constraints to Export Performance in Ecuador: An Exercise with Investment Climate Survey Data," NIPE Working Papers 1/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.