Human Capital as Source for Sustained Competitive Advantages in SMEs: A Core Competencies Approach
AbstractHuman capital is a source of competitive advantage, since it helps to build core competencies which position the company above its competitors. Core competencies are dynamic competencies of superior hierarchy, which integrate, build and reconfigure internal and external factors of business to create value. Core competencies are competitive advantages when an organization gets better performance than competitors. Human capital is source of competitive advantage but it possibly does not directly affect to performance. It needs to associate with other elements in core competencies. These associations are not well known. That is the goal of this paper: to determine how human capital affects the organizational performance through core competencies. We argue that human capital needs other intellectual capital-based elements to constitute core competencies which finally improve and yields above average performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Faculty of Management, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania in its journal ECONOMIA seria MANAGEMENT / ECONOMY - MANAGEMENT series.
Volume (Year): 16 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Sustained Competitive Advantage; human capital; intellectual capital; SMEs; core competencies.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L21 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Business Objectives of the Firm
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Unger, Jens M. & Rauch, Andreas & Frese, Michael & Rosenbusch, Nina, 2011. "Human capital and entrepreneurial success: A meta-analytical review," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 341-358, May.
- Katchova, Ani L., 2010. "Structural changes in U.S. agriculture: Financial performance of farms in transition," 114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany 60965, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Constance E. Helfat & Marvin B. Lieberman, 2002. "The birth of capabilities: market entry and the importance of pre-history," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(4), pages 725-760, August.
- Ferligoj, Anuska & Prasnikar, Janez & Jordan, Vesna, 1997. " Competitive Advantage and Human Resource Management in SMEs in a Transitional Economy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(6), pages 503-14, December.
- Kraaijenbrink, Jeroen & Spender, JC & Groen, Aard, 2009. "The resource-based view: A review and assessment of its critiques," MPRA Paper 21442, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- González-Loureiro, Miguel & Pita-Castelo, Jose, 2012. "A model for assessing the contribution of innovative SMEs to economic growth: The intangible approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 312-315.
- Tymon Jr., Walter G. & Stumpf, Stephen A. & Doh, Jonathan P., 2010. "Exploring talent management in India: The neglected role of intrinsic rewards," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 109-121, April.
- Anand, Jaideep & Brenes, Estaban R. & Karnani, Aneel & Rodriquez, Arnoldo, 2006. "Strategic responses to economic liberalization in emerging economies: Lessons from experience," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 365-371, March.
- Pawan S. Budhwar & Harsh K. Luthar & Jyotsna Bhatnagar, 2006. "The Dynamics of HRM Systems in Indian BPO Firms," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 27(3), pages 339-360, June.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Brenes, Esteban R. & Mena, Mauricio & Molina, German E., 2008. "Key success factors for strategy implementation in Latin America," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(6), pages 590-598, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ciocoiu Nadia Carmen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.