Operational Risk Management Using a Fuzzy Logic Inference System
AbstractOperational Risk (OR) results from endogenous and exogenous risk factors, as diverse and complex to assess as human resources and technology, which may not be properly measured using traditional quantitative approaches. Engineering has faced the same challenges when designing practical solutions to complex multifactor and non-linear systems where human reasoning, expert knowledge, and imprecise information are valuable inputs. One of the solutions provided by engineering is a Fuzzy Logic Inference System (FLIS). The choice of a FLIS for OR assessment results in a convenient and sound use of qualitative and quantitative inputs, capable of effectively articulating risk management’s identication, assessment, monitoring, and mitigation stages. Different from traditional approaches, the proposed model allows for evaluating mitigation efforts ex-ante, thus avoiding concealed OR sources from system complexity build-up and optimizing risk management resources. Furthermore, because the model contrasts effective with expected OR data, it is able to constantly validate its outcome, recognize environment’s shifts, and issue warning signals.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Capco Institute in its journal Journal of Financial Transformation.
Volume (Year): 30 (2010)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 120 Broadway, 29th Floor New York, NY 10271
Phone: +1 212 284 8600
Web page: http://www.capco.com/
Operational Risk; Fuzzy Logic; Risk Management;
Other versions of this item:
- Alejandro Reveiz & Carlos Léon, 2009. "Operational Risk Management using a Fuzzy Logic Inference System," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 005841, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Alejandro Reveiz & Carlos León, . "Operational Risk Management using a Fuzzy Logic Inference System," Borradores de Economia 574, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Springett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.