A Bivariate Copula-based Model for a Mixed Binary-Continuous Distribution: A Time Series Approach
AbstractIn this paper we present a copula-based model for a binary and a continuous variable in a time series setup. Within this modeling framework both marginals can be equipped with their own dynamics whereas the contemporaneous dependence between both processes can be flexibly captured via a copula function. We propose a method for testing the goodness-offit of such a time series model using probability integral transforms (PIT). This verification procedure allows not only a verification of the goodness-offit of the estimated marginal distribution for a continuous variable but also the conditional distribution of a continuous variable given the outcome of its binary counterpart (i.e. the adequacy of the copula choice). We test the model on an empirical example: investigating the relationship between trading volume and the indicators of arbitrarily ’large’ price movements on the interbank EUR/PLN spot market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEJEME in its journal Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://cejeme.org/
copula function; mixed binary-continuous distribution; ACD models; market microstructure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C18 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Methodolical Issues: General
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katarzyna Bien & Ingmar Nolte & Winfried Pohlmeier, 2006. "A Multivariate Integer Count Hurdle Model: Theory and Application to Exchange Rate Dynamics," CoFE Discussion Paper 06-06, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Tina Hviid Rydberg & Neil Shephard, 2002.
"Dynamics of trade-by-trade price movements: decomposition and models,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2002fe04, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Tina Hviid Rydberg & Neil Shephard, 2003. "Dynamics of Trade-by-Trade Price Movements: Decomposition and Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(1), pages 2-25.
- Tina Hviid Rydberg & Neil Shephard, 2002. "Dynamics of trade-by-trade price movements: decomposition and models," Economics Papers 2002-W1, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Neil Shephard & Tina Hviid Rydberg, 2002. "Dynamics of trade-by-trade price movements: decomposition and models," Economics Series Working Papers 2002-FE-04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- A. Colin Cameron & Tong Li & Pravin K. Trivedi & David M. Zimmer, 2004.
"Modeling the Differences in Counted Outcomes using Bivariate Copula Models: with Application to Mismeasured Counts,"
43, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- A. Colin Cameron & Tong Li & Pravin K. Trivedi & David M. Zimmer, 2004. "Modelling the differences in counted outcomes using bivariate copula models with application to mismeasured counts," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 566-584, December.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev, 1996.
"Heterogeneous Information Arrivals and Return Volatility Dynamics: Uncovering the Long-Run in High Frequency Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
5752, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. " Heterogeneous Information Arrivals and Return Volatility Dynamics: Uncovering the Long-Run in High Frequency Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 975-1005, July.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1987. "Price, trade size, and information in securities markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 69-90, September.
- Katarzyna Bien & Ingmar Nolte & Winfried Pohlmeier, 2011.
"An inflated multivariate integer count hurdle model: an application to bid and ask quote dynamics,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(4), pages 669-707, 06.
- Katarzyna Bien & Ingmar Nolte & Winfried Pohlmeier, 2007. "An Inflated Multivariate Integer Count Hurdle Model: An Application to Bid and Ask Quote Dynamics," CoFE Discussion Paper 07-04, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Chandra Bhat & Ipek Sener, 2009. "A copula-based closed-form binary logit choice model for accommodating spatial correlation across observational units," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 243-272, September.
- Christian Genest & Michel Gendron & Micha�l Bourdeau-Brien, 2009. "The Advent of Copulas in Finance," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(7-8), pages 609-618.
- Rainer Winkelmann, 2011.
"Copula bivariate probit models: with an application to medical expenditures,"
ECON - Working Papers
029, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Rainer Winkelmann, 2012. "Copula Bivariate Probit Models: With An Application To Medical Expenditures," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(12), pages 1444-1455, December.
- Trivedi, Pravin K. & Zimmer, David M., 2007. "Copula Modeling: An Introduction for Practitioners," Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics, now publishers, vol. 1(1), pages 1-111, April.
- Copeland, Thomas E, 1976. "A Model of Asset Trading under the Assumption of Sequential Information Arrival," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1149-68, September.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Manganelli, Simone, 2002.
"Duration, volume and volatility impact of trades,"
Working Paper Series
0125, European Central Bank.
- Ryszard Doman, 2006. "Measuring Conditional Dependence of Polish Financial Returns," Dynamic Econometric Models, Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 7, pages 59-68.
- Jennings, Robert H & Starks, Laura T & Fellingham, John C, 1981. "An Equilibrium Model of Asset Trading with Sequential Information Arrival," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(1), pages 143-61, March.
- Diebold, Francis X & Gunther, Todd A & Tay, Anthony S, 1998. "Evaluating Density Forecasts with Applications to Financial Risk Management," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 863-83, November.
- BAUWENS, Luc & VEREDAS, David, .
"The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent variable model for the analysis of financial durations,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1688, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bauwens, Luc & Veredas, David, 2004. "The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent variable model for the analysis of financial durations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 381-412, April.
- Joachim Grammig & Kai-Oliver Maurer, 2000. "Non-monotonic hazard functions and the autoregressive conditional duration model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(1), pages 16-38.
- Blume, Lawrence & Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1994. " Market Statistics and Technical Analysis: The Role of Volume," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 153-81, March.
- Harris, Lawrence E, 1994. "Minimum Price Variations, Discrete Bid-Ask Spreads, and Quotation Sizes," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(1), pages 149-78.
- Paul Embrechts, 2009. "Copulas: A Personal View," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(3), pages 639-650.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Krzysztof Osiewalski).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.