Distribution Choice for the Asymmetric ACD Models
AbstractIn the paper, I generalize the Asymmetric Autoregressive Conditional Duration (AACD) model proposed by Bauwens and Giot (2003) with respect to the generalized gamma and the Burr distribution for an error term. I derive the log likelihood functions for the augmented models and show how to check the goodness-of-fit of the distributional assumptions with the application of the probability integral transforms proposed by Diebold, Gunther and Tay (1998). Moreover, I present an exemplary empirical application of the Asymmetric ACD model for the durations between submissions of market or best limit orders on the interbank trading platform for the Polish zloty. I test the impact of selected market microstructure factors (i.e. the bid-ask spread, volatility) on the time of order submissions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wydawnictwo Naukowe Uniwersytetu Mikolaja Kopernika in its journal Dynamic Econometric Models.
Volume (Year): 11 (2011)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.wydawnictwoumk.pl
Asymmetric ACD model; financial durations; probability integral transforms; market microstructure.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot & Joachim Grammig & David Veredas, 2000.
"A Comparison of Financial Duration Models via Density Forecasts,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0810, Econometric Society.
- Bauwens, Luc & Giot, Pierre & Grammig, Joachim & Veredas, David, 2004. "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 589-609.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre & GRAMMIG, Joachim & VEREDAS, David, . "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1746, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot & Joachim Grammig & David Veredas, 2004. "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecast," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136218, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- BAUWENS , Luc & GIOT, Pierre & GRAMMIG, Joachim & VEREDAS, David, 2000. "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts," CORE Discussion Papers 2000060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bauwens, Luc & Veredas, David, 2004.
"The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent variable model for the analysis of financial durations,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 381-412, April.
- BAUWENS, Luc & VEREDAS, David, . "The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent variable model for the analysis of financial durations," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1688, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Diebold, Francis X & Gunther, Todd A & Tay, Anthony S, 1998. "Evaluating Density Forecasts with Applications to Financial Risk Management," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 863-83, November.
- Grammig, Joachim & Wellner, Marc, 2002. "Modeling the interdependence of volatility and inter-transaction duration processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 369-400, February.
- Ellul, Andrew & Holden, Craig W. & Jain, Pankaj & Jennings, Robert, 2007. "Order dynamics: Recent evidence from the NYSE," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 636-661, December.
- Pierre Giot, 2005. "Market risk models for intraday data," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 309-324.
- Maria Pacurar, 2008. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration Models In Finance: A Survey Of The Theoretical And Empirical Literature," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(4), pages 711-751, 09.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre, .
"Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1670, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot, 2003. "Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 709-731, November.
- Zhang, Michael Yuanjie & Russell, Jeffrey R. & Tsay, Ruey S., 2001. "A nonlinear autoregressive conditional duration model with applications to financial transaction data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 179-207, August.
- Joachim Grammig & Kai-Oliver Maurer, 2000. "Non-monotonic hazard functions and the autoregressive conditional duration model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(1), pages 16-38.
- Ghysels Eric & Jasiak Joanna, 1998. "GARCH for Irregularly Spaced Financial Data: The ACD-GARCH Model," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(4), pages 1-19, January.
- Ranaldo, Angelo, 2004. "Order aggressiveness in limit order book markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 53-74, January.
- Foucault, Thierry, 1999. "Order flow composition and trading costs in a dynamic limit order market1," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 99-134, May.
- GIOT, Pierre, 1999. "Time transformations, intraday data and volatility models," CORE Discussion Papers 1999044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lo, Ingrid & Sapp, Stephen G., 2008. "The submission of limit orders or market orders: The role ofÂ timing and information in the Reuters D2000-2 system," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1056-1073, November.
- Biais, Bruno & Hillion, Pierre & Spatt, Chester, 1995. " An Empirical Analysis of the Limit Order Book and the Order Flow in the Paris Bourse," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1655-89, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Miroslawa Buczynska).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.