Evaluacion De Las Oportunidades De Mejoramiento De La Logistica Directa De Emergencia
AbstractAmbulances services, taxis, pizza delivery and vehicle tows have in common a sub-process of gathering the requests, usually by call-centers, and a sub-process of execution, consisting on dispatching a vehicle to the site. In this article we model those services in an integrated way, identifying key performance indicators for the manager and the client, and the tradeoffs among those indices. We analyze the performance of Unidad Coronaria Móvil, the firm that pioneered the private ambulance services in Chile. We evaluate the main opportunities for improvement, including the reduction of lead-times, fleet enlargements and the optimization of the bases coverage.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile. in its journal ABANTE.
Volume (Year): 7 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- C44 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Operations Research; Statistical Decision Theory
- M19 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John R. Schroeter, 1983.
"A Model of Taxi Service under Fare Structure and Fleet Size Regulation,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(1), pages 81-96, Spring.
- Schroeter, John R., 1983. "A Model of Taxi Service Under Fare Structure and Fleet Size Regulation," Staff General Research Papers 11120, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Linda Green & Peter Kolesar, 1989. "Testing the Validity of a Queueing Model of Police Patrol," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(2), pages 127-148, February.
- Tamer Boyaci & Saibal Ray, 2003. "Product Differentiation and Capacity Cost Interaction in Time and Price Sensitive Markets," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 18-36, May.
- Jaume Puig‐Junoy & Marc Saez & Esther Martínez‐García, 1998. "Why do patients prefer hospital emergency visits? A nested multinomial logit analysis for patient‐initiated contacts," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 39-52, September.
- James E. Smith & Detlof von Winterfeldt, 2004. "Anniversary Article: Decision Analysis in Management Science," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(5), pages 561-574, May.
- Ward Whitt, 1992. "Understanding the Efficiency of Multi-Server Service Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(5), pages 708-723, May.
- Fujiwara, Okitsugu & Makjamroen, Thanet & Gupta, Kapil Kumar, 1987. "Ambulance deployment analysis: A case study of Bangkok," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 9-18, July.
- Linda V. Green & Peter J. Kolesar, 2004. "ANNIVERSARY ARTICLE: Improving Emergency Responsiveness with Management Science," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(8), pages 1001-1014, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gimena Pardo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.