Coping With Uncertainty in International Business
AbstractInternational business, as compared with domestic business, is usually characterized by increased uncertainty. A study of 10 multinational companies uncovered several methods of coping with uncertainty. This paper focuses on 2 methods which may not be apparent control and flexibility. A framework of analysis suggesting appropriate methods for coping with uncertainty is also developed.© 1982 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1982) 13, 87–98
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 13 (1982)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hagigi, Moshe & Sivakumar, Kumar, 2009. "Managing diverse risks: An integrative framework," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 286-295, September.
- Christian Engau & Volker Hoffmann, 2011. "Corporate response strategies to regulatory uncertainty: evidence from uncertainty about post-Kyoto regulation," Policy Sciences, Springer, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 53-80, March.
- Figueira-de-Lemos, Francisco & Johanson, Jan & Vahlne, Jan-Erik, 2011. "Risk management in the internationalization process of the firm: A note on the Uppsala model," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 143-153, April.
- Manuel Portugal Ferreira & Dan Li & Stephen Guisinger, 2007. "Is the 'International Business Environment' the Actual Context for IB Research?," Working Papers, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria 2, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- De Leeuw, A. C. J. & Volberda, H. W., 1996. "On the concept of flexibility: A dual control perspective," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 121-139, April.
- Lessard, Donald & Lucea, Rafael, 2009. "Embracing risk as a core competence: The case of CEMEX," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 296-305, September.
- Muralidharan, Raman, 1999. "Headquarters' scanning of the foreign subsidiary environment:: An empirical study," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 35-54.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.