French-German Interest Rate Differentials and Time-Varying Realignment Risk
AbstractThis paper explores the determinants of realignment expectations for the French franc--deutsche mark exchange rate. Expected changes in the central parity are estimated by adjusting short-term Euromarket interest rate differentials for the expected rate of change in the exchange rate within the ERM fluctuation band and by the yield differential on long-term government bonds. The results indicate that the exchange rate within the band is mean reverting and that expected changes are sizable. Realignment expectations are found to be related to the evolution of fundamental economic variables and, for shorter horizons, the position of the franc in the fluctuation band.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 40 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bordo, Michael D. & Macdonald, Ronald & Oliver, Michael J., 2009.
"Sterling in crisis, 1964–1967,"
European Review of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(03), pages 437-459, December.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Dimitris A. Sideris & Fragiska K. Voumvaki, 2004.
"Testing Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity under Exchange Rate Targeting,"
15, Bank of Greece.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Sideris, Dimitris A. & Voumvaki, Fragiska K., 2005. "Testing long-run purchasing power parity under exchange rate targeting," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 959-981, October.
- Andrea Cipollini & Kostas Mouratidis & Nicola Spagnolo, 2008.
"Evaluating currency crises: the case of the European monetary system,"
Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 11-27, August.
- Kostas Mouratidis & Nicola Spagnolo, 2004. "Evaluating currency crises: the case of the European Monetary System," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 69, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Jerome Henry & Jens Weidmann, 2005. "The French-German Interest Rate Differential Since German," International Finance 0503009, EconWPA.
- Pierre Siklos & Rod Tarajos, 1996. "Fundamentals and devaluation expectations in target zones: Some new evidence from the ERM," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 35-59, January.
- Jeanne, Olivier, 1997. "Are currency crises self-fulfilling?: A test," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 263-286, November.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2007:i:6:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chen, Zhaohui & Giovannini, Alberto, 1997. "The determinants of realignment expectations under the EMS: Some empirical regularities," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1687-1707, December.
- Peria, Maria Soledad Martinez, 1999. "A regime - switching approach to studying speculative attacks : focus on European Monetary System crises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2132, The World Bank.
- Olivier Jeanne, 1996. "Les modèles de crise de change : un essai de synthèse en relation avec la crise du franc de 1992-1993," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 123(2), pages 147-162.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.