Exotic Unit-Linked Life Insurance Contracts
AbstractThis article integrates aspects of traditional insurance with advances in financial economics, yielding proper valuation and premium assessments of insurance benefits linked to various financial assets. Several new types of unit-linked life insurance contracts are discussed, with substantial potential for real-life applications. Compared to usual unit-linked products, these contracts offer added flexibility and/or altered exposure to financial risk for the insured and/or the insurer. The single premiums of these policies are calculated as expectations under a risk-adjusted probability measure (equivalent martingale measure), satisfying no-arbitrage conditions in financial markets. The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance Theory (1996) 21, 35–63. doi:10.1007/BF00949050
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance Theory.
Volume (Year): 21 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- J. Aase Nielsen & Klaus Sandmann & Erik Schlogl, 2010.
"Equity-Linked Pension Schemes with Guarantees,"
Research Paper Series
270, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Bjarke Jensen & Peter L�chte J�rgensen & Anders Grosen, 2001.
"A Finite Difference Approach to the Valuation of Path Dependent Life Insurance Liabilities,"
The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(1), pages 57-84, June.
- Grosen, Anders & Jensen, Bjarke & Løchte Jørgensen, Peter, 2001. "A Finite Difference Approach to the Valuation of Path Dependent Life Insurance Liabilities," Finance Working Papers 01-5, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Yang, Sharon S. & Yueh, Meng-Lan & Tang, Chun-Hua, 2008. "Valuation of the interest rate guarantee embedded in defined contribution pension plans," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 920-934, June.
- Guillen, Montserrat & Jorgensen, Peter Lochte & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2006. "Return smoothing mechanisms in life and pension insurance: Path-dependent contingent claims," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 229-252, April.
- Gan, Guojun, 2013. "Application of data clustering and machine learning in variable annuity valuation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 795-801.
- J. Aase Nielsen & Klaus Sandmann, 1996.
"Uniqueness of the Fair Premium for Equity-Linked Life Insurance Contracts,"
The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 65-102, June.
- Nielsen, J. Aase & Klaus Sandmann, 1995. "Uniqueness of the Fair Premium for Equity-Linked Life Insurance Contracts," Discussion Paper Serie B 327, University of Bonn, Germany, revised Mar 1996.
- Melnikov, Alexander & Romaniuk, Yulia, 2006. "Evaluating the performance of Gompertz, Makeham and Lee-Carter mortality models for risk management with unit-linked contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 310-329, December.
- Klusik, Przemyslaw & Palmowski, Zbigniew, 2011. "Quantile hedging for equity-linked contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 280-286, March.
- Chen, An, 2008.
"Loss analysis of a life insurance company applying discrete-time risk-minimizing hedging strategies,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 1035-1049, June.
- An Chen, 2005. "Loss Analysis of a Life Insurance Company Applying Discrete-time Risk-minimizing Hedging Strategies," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse19_2005, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Alexander Melnikov & Yuliya Romanyuk, 2008.
"Efficient Hedging And Pricing Of Equity-Linked Life Insurance Contracts On Several Risky Assets,"
International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(03), pages 295-323.
- Alexander Melnikov & Yuliya Romanyuk, 2006. "Efficient Hedging and Pricing of Equity-Linked Life Insurance Contracts on Several Risky Assets," Working Papers 06-43, Bank of Canada.
- Eckhard Platen, 2009. "Real World Pricing of Long Term Contracts," Research Paper Series 262, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Steffensen, Mogens, 2000. "A no arbitrage approach to Thiele's differential equation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 201-214, October.
- Branger, Nicole & Mahayni, Antje & Schneider, Judith C., 2010. "On the optimal design of insurance contracts with guarantees," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 485-492, June.
- Tanskanen, Antti Juho & Lukkarinen, Jani, 2003. "Fair valuation of path-dependent participating life insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 595-609, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.