Pricing bivariate option under GARCH processes with time-varying copula
AbstractThis paper develops a method for pricing bivariate contingent claims under General Autoregressive Conditionally Heteroskedastic (GARCH) process. As the association between the underlying assets may vary over time, the dynamic copula with time-varying parameter offers a better alternative to any static model for dependence structure and even to the dynamic copula model determined by dynamic dependence measure. Therefore, the proposed method proves to play an important role in pricing bivariate options. The approach is illustrated with one type of better-of-two-markets claims: call option on the better performer of Shanghai and Shenzhen Stock Composite Indexes. Results show that the option prices obtained by the time-varying copula model differ substantially from the prices implied by the static copula model and even the dynamic copula model derived from the dynamic dependence measure. Moreover, the empirical work displays the advantages of the suggested method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Insurance: Mathematics and Economics.
Volume (Year): 42 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554
Other versions of this item:
- Jing Zhang & Dominique Guegan, 2008. "Pricing bivariate option under GARCH processes with time-varying copula," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne b08015, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- C02 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Mathematical Economics
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshua Rosenberg, 1999. "Semiparametric Pricing of Multivariate Contingent Claims," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-028, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Stulz, ReneM., 1982. "Options on the minimum or the maximum of two risky assets : Analysis and applications," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 161-185, July.
- Johnson, Herb, 1987. "Options on the Maximum or the Minimum of Several Assets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(03), pages 277-283, September.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- van den Goorbergh, Rob W.J. & Genest, Christian & Werker, Bas J.M., 2005. "Bivariate option pricing using dynamic copula models," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 101-114, August.
- Brennan, M J, 1979. "The Pricing of Contingent Claims in Discrete Time Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 53-68, March.
- Jin-Chuan Duan, 1995. "The Garch Option Pricing Model," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 13-32.
- U. Cherubini & E. Luciano, 2002. "Bivariate option pricing with copulas," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 69-85.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-86, March.
- Mark Rubinstein, 1976. "The Valuation of Uncertain Income Streams and the Pricing of Options," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 7(2), pages 407-425, Autumn.
- Andrew Patton, 2004.
"Modelling Asymmetric Exchange Rate Dependence,"
wp04-04, Warwick Business School, Financial Econometrics Research Centre.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Lars Stentoft, 2010.
"Multivariate Option Pricing with Time Varying Volatility and Correlations,"
CREATES Research Papers
2010-19, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Rombouts, Jeroen V.K. & Stentoft, Lars, 2011. "Multivariate option pricing with time varying volatility and correlations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2267-2281, September.
- ROMBOUTS, Jeroen J. K & STENTOFT, Lars, 2010. "Multivariate option pricing with time varying volatility and correlations," CORE Discussion Papers 2010020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jeroen Rombouts & Lars Peter Stentoft, 2010. "Multivariate Option Pricing With Time Varying Volatility and Correlations," CIRANO Working Papers 2010s-23, CIRANO.
- Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Lars Stentoft, 2010. "Multivariate Option Pricing with Time Varying Volatility and Correlations," Cahiers de recherche 1020, CIRPEE.
- ROMBOUTS, Jeroen V. K. & STENTOFT, Lars & VIOLANTE, Francesco, 2012.
"The value of multivariate model sophistication: an application to pricing Dow Jones Industrial Average options,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2012003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jeroen Rombouts & Lars Peter Stentoft & Francesco Violente, 2012. "The Value of Multivariate Model Sophistication: An Application to pricing Dow Jones Industrial Average Options," CIRANO Working Papers 2012s-05, CIRANO.
- Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Lars Stentoft & Francesco Violante, 2012. "The Value of Multivariate Model Sophistication: An Application to pricing Dow Jones Industrial Average options," CREATES Research Papers 2012-04, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.