Option pricing with discrete time jump processes
AbstractIn this paper we propose new option pricing models based on class of models with jump contain in the Lévy-type based models (NIG-Lévy, Merton-jump (Merton 1976) and Duan based model (Duan 2007)). By combining these different class of models with several volatility dynamics of the GARCH type, we aim at taking into account the dynamics of financial returns in a realistic way. The associated risk neutral dynamics of the time series models is obtained through two different specifications for the pricing kernel : we provide a characterization of the change in the probability measure using the Esscher transform and the Minimal Entropy Martingale Measure. We finally assess empirically the performance of this modelling approach, using a dataset of European options based on the S&P 500 and on the CAC 40 indices. Our results show that models involving jumps and a time varying volatility provide realistic pricing results for options with different kinds of time to maturities and moneyness. Furthermore, our results provide evidence of consistency between historical and risk neutral distributions, making the approach developed here interesting to price option when option markets are illiquid or when such markets simply do not exist.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00611706.
Date of creation: Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00611706
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Option pricing; Lévy processess; incomplete market; exponential affine stochastic discount factor; Minimal Entropy Martingale Measure; CAC 40;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-09 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshua Rosenberg & Robert F. Engle, 2000.
"Empirical Pricing Kernels,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
99-014, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Duan, Jin-Chuan & Yeh, Chung-Ying, 2010. "Jump and volatility risk premiums implied by VIX," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2232-2244, November.
- Christophe Chorro & Dominique Guégan & Florian Ielpo, 2012.
"Option pricing for GARCH-type models with generalized hyperbolic innovations,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(7), pages 1079-1094, April.
- Christophe Chorro & Dominique Guegan & Florian Ielpo, 2010. "Option pricing for GARCH-type models with generalized hyperbolic innovations," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 10023, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Peter Christoffersen & Steve Heston & Kris Jacobs, 2003.
"Option Valuation with Conditional Skewness,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Christophe Chorro & Dominique Guegan & Florian Ielpo, 2009.
"Martingalized historical approach for option pricing,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
09021, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Chorro, C. & Guégan, D. & Ielpo, F., 2010. "Martingalized historical approach for option pricing," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 24-28, March.
- Badescu Alex & Kulperger Reg & Lazar Emese, 2008. "Option Valuation with Normal Mixture GARCH Models," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 12(2), pages 1-42, May.
- Brennan, M J, 1979. "The Pricing of Contingent Claims in Discrete Time Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 53-68, March.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00523371 is not listed on IDEAS
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-43.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Robert J. Elliott & Dilip B. Madan, 1998. "A Discrete Time Equivalent Martingale Measure," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 127-152.
- Darrell Duffie & Jun Pan & Kenneth Singleton, 1999.
"Transform Analysis and Asset Pricing for Affine Jump-Diffusions,"
NBER Working Papers
7105, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Darrell Duffie & Jun Pan & Kenneth Singleton, 2000. "Transform Analysis and Asset Pricing for Affine Jump-Diffusions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1343-1376, November.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00437927 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jin-Chuan Duan, 1995. "The Garch Option Pricing Model," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 13-32.
- Chacko, George & Viceira, Luis M., 2003. "Spectral GMM estimation of continuous-time processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 259-292.
- Bates, David S, 1996. "Jumps and Stochastic Volatility: Exchange Rate Processes Implicit in Deutsche Mark Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 69-107.
- repec:hal:cesptp:hal-00511965 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00469529 is not listed on IDEAS
- Boyle, Phelim & Broadie, Mark & Glasserman, Paul, 1997. "Monte Carlo methods for security pricing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1267-1321, June.
- Christophe Chorro & Dominique Guegan & Florian Ielpo, 2010. "Likelihood-Related Estimation Methods and Non-Gaussian GARCH Processes," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 10067, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.