Pricing bivariate option under GARCH processes with time-varying copula
AbstractThis paper develops a method for pricing bivariate contingent claims under General Autoregressive Conditionally Heteroskedastic (GARCH) process. As the association between the underlying assets may vary over time, the dynamic copula with time-varying parameter offers a better alternative to any static model for dependence structure and even to the dynamic copula model determined by dynamic dependence measure. Therefore, the proposed method proves to play an important role in pricing bivariate options. The approach is illustrated with one type of better-of-two-markets claims: call option on the better performer of Shanghai and Shenzhen Stock Composite Indexes. Results show that the option prices obtained by the time-varying copula model differ substantially from the prices implied by the static copula model and even the dynamic copula model derived from the dynamic dependence measure. Moreover, the empirical work displays the advantages of the suggested method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00286054.
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Insurance Mathematics and Economics, 2008, 42, 3, 1095-1103
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00286054
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Call-on-max option; GARCH process; Kendall's tau; Copula; Dynamic Copula; Time-varying parameter;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshua Rosenberg, 1999. "Semiparametric Pricing of Multivariate Contingent Claims," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-028, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Stulz, ReneM., 1982. "Options on the minimum or the maximum of two risky assets : Analysis and applications," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 161-185, July.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Johnson, Herb, 1987. "Options on the Maximum or the Minimum of Several Assets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(03), pages 277-283, September.
- van den Goorbergh, Rob W.J. & Genest, Christian & Werker, Bas J.M., 2005. "Bivariate option pricing using dynamic copula models," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 101-114, August.
- Brennan, M J, 1979. "The Pricing of Contingent Claims in Discrete Time Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 53-68, March.
- U. Cherubini & E. Luciano, 2002. "Bivariate option pricing with copulas," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 69-85.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-86, March.
- Mark Rubinstein, 1976. "The Valuation of Uncertain Income Streams and the Pricing of Options," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 7(2), pages 407-425, Autumn.
- Andrew Patton, 2004.
"Modelling Asymmetric Exchange Rate Dependence,"
wp04-04, Warwick Business School, Financial Econometrics Research Centre.
- Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Lars Stentoft, 2010.
"Multivariate Option Pricing with Time Varying Volatility and Correlations,"
CREATES Research Papers
2010-19, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Rombouts, Jeroen V.K. & Stentoft, Lars, 2011. "Multivariate option pricing with time varying volatility and correlations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2267-2281, September.
- Jeroen Rombouts & Lars Peter Stentoft, 2010. "Multivariate Option Pricing With Time Varying Volatility and Correlations," CIRANO Working Papers 2010s-23, CIRANO.
- ROMBOUTS, Jeroen J. K & STENTOFT, Lars, 2010. "Multivariate option pricing with time varying volatility and correlations," CORE Discussion Papers 2010020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Lars Stentoft, 2010. "Multivariate Option Pricing with Time Varying Volatility and Correlations," Cahiers de recherche 1020, CIRPEE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.