Reaching Turning Points in Economic Transition: Adjustments to Distortions in Resource-based Consumption of Food
AbstractFood consumption changes during transition are analysed using a resource-based cereal equivalent measure to identify three defining turning points: (1) the initial drop in food consumption (experienced by all countries except Romania); (2) stabilisation of food consumption at the new, lower level (reached by CEECs and the Baltic States but not by the former USSR as a whole); (3) achievement of market consumption levels consistent with levels of real income (reached by Hungary and the former Czechoslovakia). Country agricultural self-sufficiency measures are calculated yielding policy implications as accession to the European Union is contemplated by many transitional countries. Comparative Economic Studies (2004) 46, 542–569. doi:10.1057/palgrave.ces.8100050
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Comparative Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 46 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zelimir William Todorovic & Jun Ma, 2010. "Resolving the paradox of enterprising communities in Eastern Europe," Journal of Enterprising Communities: People and Places in the Global Economy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(3), pages 234-251, August.
- Norman Rask & Kolleen Rask, 2005.
"Economic Development and Food Demand Changes: Production and Management Implications,"
0514, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Rask, Norman & Rask, Kolleen, 2005. "Economic Development and Food Demand Changes: Production and Management Implications," 15th Congress, Campinas SP, Brazil, August 14-19, 2005 24266, International Farm Management Association.
- Rask, Kolleen J. & Rask, Norman, 2011. "Economic development and food production-consumption balance: A growing global challenge," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 186-196, April.
- Herzfeld, Thomas & Huffman, Sonya Kostova & Oskam, Arie J. & Rizov, Marian, 2009.
"Changes in Food, Alcohol and Cigarettes Consumption during Transition: Evidence from Russia,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
49941, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Herzfeld, Thomas & Huffman, Sonya Kostova & Oskam, Arie J. & Rizov, Marian, 2009. "Changes in Food, Alcohol and Cigarettes Consumption during Transition: Evidence from Russia," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49239, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Herzfeld, Thomas & Huffman, Sonya K. & Rizov, Marian, 2009. "The Dynamics of the Russian Lifestyle During Transition: Changes in Food, Alcohol and Cigarette Consumption," Staff General Research Papers 13116, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.