Consumer Behavior, Public Policy, and Country-of-Origin Labeling
AbstractRecent work by agricultural economists has failed to adequately identify why consumers desire country-of-origin labeling, a key piece of information needed to determine whether a market-failure exists. This paper brings to the attention of agricultural economists a sizable body of literature on country-of-origin effects from the marketing and business disciplines. Based on this literature, we draw a distinction between several consumer motivations for origin labels and we identify which of these is cause for public policy. We propose several research questions that require answers if the consequences of country-of-origin labeling policy are to be fully understood. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joseph, Siny & Lavoie, Nathalie, 2008. "Effectiveness of COOL in the U.S. Seafood Industry," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6260, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Francesca Checchinato & Lala Hu & Tiziano Vescovi, 2013. "The communication of foreign products in China through the store: an empirical analysis," The International Journal of Economic Behavior - IJEB, Faculty of Business and Administration, University of Bucharest, vol. 3(1), pages 41-57, December.
- Taylor, Mykel R. & Tonsor, Glynn T., 2013. "Revealed Demand for Country-of-Origin Labeling of Meat in the United States," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(2), August.
- Ehmke, Mariah D. & Lusk, Jayson L. & Tyner, Wallace E., 2006. "The Relative Importance of Preferences for Country-of-Origin in China, France, Niger and the United States," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25408, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Saak, Alexander, 2011.
"A model of labeling with horizontal differentiation and cost variability:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1075, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Alexander E. Saak, 2011. "A Model of Labeling with Horizontal Differentiation and Cost Variability," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1131-1150.
- Saak, Alexander E., 2011. "A Model of Labeling with Horizontal Differentiation and Cost Variability," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103540, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Verbeke, Wim & Pieniak, Zuzanna & Guerrero, Luis & Hersleth, Margrethe, 2012. "Consumersâ€™ Awareness and Attitudinal Determinants of European Union Quality Label Use on Traditional Foods," Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA), issue 2, August.
- Jones, Keithly G. & Somwaru, Agapi & Whitaker, James B., 2009. "Country of Origin Labeling: Evaluating the Impacts on U.S. and World Markets," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 38(3), December.
- Verbeke, Wim & Roosen, Jutta, 2009. "Market Differentiation Potential of Country-of-origin, Quality and Traceability Labeling," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 10(1).
- Aizaki, Hideo & Sawada, Manabu & Sato, Kazuo & Kikkawa, Toshiko, 2009. "A non-compensatory choice modeling analysis of Japanese consumers’ preferences for beef: A choice experiment approach," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51656, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- van Tongeren, Frank & Beghin, John C. & Marette, Stephan, 2009.
"A Cost-Benefit Framework for the Assessment of Non-Tariff Measures in Agro-Food Trade,"
Staff General Research Papers
13146, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Frank van Tongeren & John Beghin & Stéphane Marette, 2009. "A Cost-Benefit Framework for the Assessment of Non-Tariff Measures in Agro-Food Trade," OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers 21, OECD Publishing.
- Violette, William J. & Harou, Aurélie P. & Upton, Joanna B. & Bell, Samuel D. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Gómez, Miguel I. & Lentz, Erin C., 2013. "Recipients’ Satisfaction with Locally Procured Food Aid Rations: Comparative Evidence from a Three Country Matched Survey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 30-43.
- Lim, Kar Ho & Hu, Wuyang & Maynard, Leigh J. & Goddard, Ellen W., 2012. "Willingness to Pay for Imported Beef and Risk Perception: An application of Individual-Level Parameter," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119755, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Lewis, Karen E. & Grebitus, Carola, 2013. "Consumers’ Attitudes towards Country of Origin Labeling for Sugar," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150162, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Innes, Brian G. & Kerr, William A. & Hobbs, Jill E., 2008.
"International Product Differentiation Through a Country Brand: An Economic Analysis of National Branding as a Marketing Strategy for Agricultural Products,"
Trade Policy Briefs
43470, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Innes, Brian G. & Kerr, William A. & Hobbs, Jill E., 2007. "International Product Differentiation through a Country Brand: An Economic Analysis of National Branding as a Marketing Strategy for Agricultural Products," Commissioned Papers 6131, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Joseph, Siny & Lavoie, Nathalie & Caswell, Julie A., 2014. "Implementing COOL: Comparative welfare effects of different labeling schemes," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 14-25.
- Tauber, Ramona & Anders, Sven & Langinier, Corinne, 2011. "The Economics of Geographical Indications: Welfare Implications," Working Papers 103262, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
- Pouliot, Sébastien & Sumner, Daniel A., 2012. "Differential Impacts of Country of Origin Labeling: COOL Econometric Evidence from Cattle Markets," Working Papers 148593, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.