Strategic versus financial investors: the role of strategic objectives in financial contracting
AbstractStrategic investors, such as corporate venture capitalists, engage in the financing of start-up firms to complement their core businesses and to facilitate the internalization of externalities. We argue that while strategic objectives make it more worthwhile for an investor to elicit high entrepreneurial effort, they can also undermine his commitment to penalize poorly performing entrepreneurs by terminating their projects. Based on this tradeoff we develop a theory of financing choice between strategic and financial investors. Our framework provides insights into the design of corporate venturing deals and the choice between corporate venturing and independent venture capital finance. Copyright 2010 Oxford University Press 2009 All rights reserved, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 62 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Stefan Arping & Sonia Falconieri, 0000. "Strategic versus Financial Investors: The Role of Strategic Objectives in Financial Contracting," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-036/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Repullo, R. & Suarez, J., 1996.
"Monitoring, Liquidation, and Security Design,"
273, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994.
"A theory of debt and equity: diversity of securities and manager-shareholder congruence,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9593, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Tirole, Jean, 1994. "A Theory of Debt and Equity: Diversity of Securities and Manager-Shareholder Congruence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 1027-54, November.
- Jean-Etienne De Bettignies & Gilles Chemla, 2008.
"Corporate Venturing, Allocation of Talent, and Competition for Star Managers,"
- Jean-Etienne de Bettignies & Gilles Chemla, 2008. "Corporate Venturing, Allocation of Talent, and Competition for Star Managers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(3), pages 505-521, March.
- Riyanto, Yohanes E. & Schwienbacher, Armin, 2006. "The strategic use of corporate venture financing for securing demand," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 2809-2833, October.
- Hellmann, Thomas, 2002. "A theory of strategic venture investing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 285-314, May.
- Paul Gompers & Josh Lerner, 2000.
"The Determinants of Corporate Venture Capital Success: Organizational Structure, Incentives, and Complementarities,"
in: Concentrated Corporate Ownership, pages 17-54
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul A. Gompers & Josh Lerner, 1998. "The Determinants of Corporate Venture Capital Successes: Organizational Structure, Incentives, and Complementarities," NBER Working Papers 6725, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dominique Dufour & Eric Nasica & Dominique Torre, 2013. "Syndication in private equity industry: comparing the strategies of independent and captive venture capitalists," Working Papers halshs-00853695, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.