Temporary migration and capital market imperfections
AbstractThis paper analyses the temporary migration decision of workers who are credit constrained. As observed with data on Tunisia, migrants who invest after returning to their country have accumulated more savings and stayed longer abroad than salaried return migrants. To capture these features, we analyse the optimal migration duration and occupational choice of workers using a life-cycle maximisation model. An econometric test enables us to evaluate the extend to which liquidity constraints affect self-employment of returned migrants. The model predicts unexpected effects of policy measures on migration behaviour. In particular, migrants who receive funds to invest after return do not necessarily return earlier. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 56 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchflower, D.G. & Oswald, A., 1991.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Economics Series Working Papers, University of Oxford, Department of Economics
99125, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1998. "What Makes an Entrepreneur?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 26-60, January.
- Oded Galor & Joseph Zeira, 2013.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
Working Papers, Brown University, Department of Economics
2013-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Magnac, Thierry & Robin, Jean-Marc, 1996. "Occupational choice and liquidity constraints," Ricerche Economiche, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 105-133, June.
- Dustmann, Christian & Kirchkamp, Oliver, 2001.
"The Optimal Migration Duration and Activity Choice after Re-migration,"
IZA Discussion Papers
266, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dustmann, Christian & Kirchkamp, Oliver, 2002. "The optimal migration duration and activity choice after re-migration," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 351-372, April.
- Dustmann, Christian & Kirchkamp, Oliver, 2000. "The Optimal Migration Duration and Activity Choice after Re-migration," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, UniversitÃ¤t Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim 00-39, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Newman, Andrew F, 1993.
"Occupational Choice and the Process of Development,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 274-98, April.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Andrew F. Newman, 1990. "Occupational Choice and the Process of Development," Discussion Papers, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science 911, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- John M. Abowd & Richard B. Freeman, 1991. "Immigration, Trade and the Labor Market," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number abow91-1.
- Stark, Oded, 2013.
"On the economics of others,"
University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences
62, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Stark, Oded, 2014. "On the economics of others," Discussion Papers, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF) 164965, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.