The Economics of Chaos or the Chaos of Economics
AbstractThis paper gives a simple account of nonlinear dynamics, focusing on cycles and chaos. There is a survey of economic models that involve chaos. The case where a chaotic system is subject to exogenous random shocks is discussed. Copyright 1988 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 40 (1988)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nijkamp, Peter & Reggiani, Aura, 1995. "Non-linear evolution of dynamic spatial systems. The relevance of chaos and ecologically-based models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 183-210, April.
- Kopel, M. & Dawid, H. & Feichtinger, G., 1998. "Periodic and chaotic programs of intertemporal optimization models with non-concave net benefit function," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 435-447, January.
- Ali Khan, M. & Piazza, Adriana, 2011. "Optimal cyclicity and chaos in the 2-sector RSS model: An anything-goes construction," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 397-417.
- James Bullard & Alison Butler, 1992.
"Nonlinearity and chaos in economic models: implications for policy decisions,"
1991-002, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Bullard, James & Butler, Alison, 1993. "Nonlinearity and Chaos in Economic Models: Implications for Policy Decisions," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(419), pages 849-67, July.
- Nijkamp, P. & Poot, J., 1991. "Lessons from non-linear dynamic economics," Serie Research Memoranda 0105, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Nasir M. Khilji, 1994. "Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: Application to Financial Markets in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 33(4), pages 1417-1429.
- Nijkamp, P. & Reggiani, A., 1991.
"Impacts of multiple period lags in dynamic logit models,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0095, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Nijkamp, P. & Reggiani, A., 1990. "Impacts of multiple period lags in dynamic logit models," Serie Research Memoranda 0083, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Carolina Castaldi & Giovanni Dosi, 2003. "The Grip of History and the Scope for Novelty: Some Results and Open Questions on Path Dependence in Economic Processes," LEM Papers Series 2003/02, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Barkley, Rosser Jr., 1996. "Complex economic dynamics: An introduction to dynamical systems and Market Mechanisms : Richard H. Day, Vol. I (MIT Press, Cambridge MA, 1994), pp. 333, $39.95," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 293-296, November.
- Nijkamp, P. & Reggiani, A., 1992. "Non linear evolution of dynamic spatial systems : lessons from chaos and niche theory," Serie Research Memoranda 0066, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Ledenyov, Dimitri O. & Ledenyov, Viktor O., 2013. "Some thoughts on accurate characterization of stock market indexes trends in conditions of nonlinear capital flows during electronic trading at stock exchanges in global capital markets," MPRA Paper 49921, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Montoro, Juan D. & Paz, Jose V. & Roig, Miguel, 1998. "Active Monetary Policy and Instability in a Phillips Curve System," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 843-856, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.