Time-varying coefficients in the Almost Ideal Demand System: an empirical appraisal
AbstractThis paper provides a generalisation of the structural time series version of the Almost Ideal Demand System (AIDS) that allows for time-varying coefficients (TVC-AIDS) in the presence of cross-equation constraints. An empirical appraisal of the TVC-AIDS is made using a dynamic AIDS with trending intercept as the baseline model with a data set from the Italian Household Budget Survey (1986--2001). The assessment is based on four criteria: adherence to theoretical constraints, statistical diagnostics on residuals, forecasting performance and economic meaningfulness. No clear evidence is found for superior performance of the TVC-AIDS, apart from improved short-term forecasts. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Barnett, William A. & Kalonda-Kanyama, Isaac, 2012.
"Time-varying parameters in the almost ideal demand system and the Rotterdam model: will the best specification please stand up?,"
36513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- William A. Barnett & Isaac Kalonda Kanyama, 2013. "Time-varying parameters in the almost ideal demand system and the Rotterdam model: will the best specification please stand up?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(29), pages 4169-4183, October.
- William A. Barnett and Isaac Kalonda-Kanyama, 2013. "Time-Varying Parameter in the Almost Ideal Demand System and the Rotterdam Model: Will the Best Specification Please Stand Up?," Working Papers 335, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- William Barnett & Isaac Kalonda-Kanyama, 2012. "Time-Varying Parameters in the Almost Ideal Demand System and the Rotterdam Model: Will the Best Specication Please Stand Up?," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 201201, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2012.
- Mazzocchi, Mario, 2004. "Food Scares and Demand Recovery Patterns: An Econometric Investigation," 84th Seminar, February 8-11, 2004, Zeist, The Netherlands 24990, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mu, Jianhong E. & McCarl, Bruce A. & Bessler, David A., 2013. "Impacts of BSE and Avian Influenza on U.S. Meat Demand," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150392, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Mazzocchi, Mario, 2006. "Time patterns in UK demand for alcohol and tobacco: an application of the EM algorithm," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2191-2205, May.
- Mazzocchi, Mario & Lobb, Alexandra E., 2005. "A Latent-Variable Approach to Modelling Multiple and Resurgent Meat Scares in Italy," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24509, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tefera, Nigussie, 2012. "Welfare Impacts of Rising Food Prices in Rural Ethiopia: a Quadratic Almost Ideal Demand System Approach," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126698, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mazzocchi, Mario, 2004. "Modeling the Impact of Food Safety Information with No Information," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20252, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jin, Hyun Joung, 2008. "Changes in South Korean consumers' preferences for meat," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 74-84, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.