A Decade of Transition in Central and Eastern European Agriculture
AbstractThis paper briefly traces the main features of the transition process in the agricultural sectors of central and eastern European countries and the Russian Federation, and relates them to the challenges ahead. An overview of trends in agricultural production and consumption, trade and farm structures is followed by a discussion of producer support measures (producer subsidy equivalents, PSEs) for certain transition countries. Finally, future agricultural policy challenges are examined, in particular that of creating and maintaining competitive conditions for agriculture and in the economy as a whole. Many transition countries seek accession to the European Union, and are giving priority to policies in line with that goal. In general, the challenges ahead are converging with those of OECD countries. Copyright 1999 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bakker, M.M. & Hatna, E. & Kuhlman, T. & Mücher, C.A., 2011. "Changing environmental characteristics of European cropland," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 104(7), pages 522-532, September.
- Malcolm D. Childress, 2002. "Policy questions for a second decade of rural change in Central|Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(7), pages 979-985.
- Lee-Ann Sutherland, 2010. "Differentiating farmers: opening the black box of private farming in post-Soviet states," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 259-276, September.
- Bezlepkina, Irina V., 2002. "What is Behind the Fall in Russian Agricultural Production?," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24785, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Shankar, Bhavani & Piesse, Jenifer & Thirtle, Colin, 2003. "Energy substitutability in transition agriculture: estimates and implications for Hungary," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 181-193, October.
- Miguel Martín-Retorillo & Vincente Pinilla, 2012. "Why did agricultural labour productivity not converge in Europe from 1950 to 2005?," Working Papers 0025, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Bezlepkina, Irina V. & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2003. "Liquidity And Productivity In Russian Agriculture: Farm-Data Evidence," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25824, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sauer, Johannes & Balint, Borbala, 2006. "Romanian Maize - Distorted Prices and Producer Efficiency," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21410, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Miguel Martín-Retortillo & Vicente Pinilla, 2013. "Patterns and causes of growth of European agricultural production, 1950-2005," Documentos de Trabajo (DT-AEHE) 1302, Asociación Española de Historia Económica.
- Bezlepkina Irina, 2003. "Production Performance in Russian Regions: Farm Level Analysis," EERC Working Paper Series 01-034e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Sauer, Johannes & Balint, Borbala, 2006. "Romanian Maize - Distorted Prices and Producer Efficiency," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25597, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Petrick, Martin & Schreiber, Catrin & Weingarten, Peter, 2004. "Competitiveness of milk and wine production and processing in Albania," IAMO Discussion Papers 68, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Rozelle, Scott & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2000. "Transition And Agriculture," Working Papers 11948, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Irina Bezlepkina & Arie Oskam & Alfons Oude Lansink & Ruud Huirne, 2004. "Development and performance of Russian agricultural enterprises, 1990-2001," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 439-457.
- Rungsuriyawiboon, Supawat & Lissitsa, Alexej, 2006. "Agricultural productivity growth in the European Union and transition countries," IAMO Discussion Papers 94, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.