Endogenous Price and Trade Policy Developments in Central European Agriculture
AbstractEndogenous policy theory is used to explain developments in agricultural and trade policies in Central Europe (CE). There have been three phases since 1989. After the initial liberalisation, ad hoc interventions emerged to protect consumers and producers against the negative real income effects of economic reform. These ad hoc interventions were gradually consolidated into a policy package. Average CE agricultural protection increased after 1992, but large differences exist between countries and commodities. The differences are largely consistent with political economy predictions. Domestic political economy factors may stimulate further increases in agricultural protection as CE economies grow. International agreements could plan an important role in limiting CE agricultural protectionism. Copyright 1996 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pavel Ciaian & Jan Pokrivcak, 2005. "Why Some Sectors of Transition Economies are less Reformed than Others? The Case of Research and Education," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2005_02, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Peter Bielik & Natália Turceková, 2007. "Single Area Payment - as One of the Supports of Agricultrure in the European Union - 25," Theory Methodology Practice (TMP), Faculty of Economics, University of Miskolc, vol. 4(01), pages 11-15.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Central and Eastern Europe," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48385, World Bank.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Dries, Liesbeth & Gow, Hamish R., 2001. "Dairy Markets, Policies, And Trade In Eastern Europe And The Former Soviet Union," International Trade in Livestock Products Symposium, January 18-19, 2001, Auckland, New Zealand 14548, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Peter Wehrheim & Doris Wiesmann, 2006. "Food security analysis and policies for transition countries," The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 3(2), pages 112-143.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M., 1997. "The Political Economy of Agricultural Transition," 1997: Economic Transition in Central and East Europe, and the Former Soviet Union: Implications ... Symposium, June 12-14, 1997, Berlin, Germany 50836, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Wehrheim, Peter & Wiesmann, Doris M., 2006. "Food Security Analysis and Policies for Transition Countries," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 3(2).
- Bojnec, Stefan & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 1997. "The pattern of agricultural price distortions in Central and Eastern Europe," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 289-306, August.
- Swinnen, Johan F. M. & Banerjee, Anurag N. & Gorter, Harry de, 2001. "Economic development, institutional change, and the political economy of agricultural protection: An econometric study of Belgium since the 19th century," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 25-43, October.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2008.
"Credit Market Imperfections And The Distribution Of Policy Rents: The Common Agricultural Policy In The New Eu Member States,"
107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain
6591, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pavel Ciaian & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2007. "Credit Market Imperfections and the Distribution of Policy Rents: The Common Agricultural Policy in the New EU Member States," LICOS Discussion Papers 18307, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2008. "The Political Economy of Agricultural Protection: Europe in the 19th and 20th Century," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43859, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.