A Nonparametric Analysis of Productivity: The Case of U.S. Agriculture
AbstractA nonparametric analysis of technical change under profit maximization and a "generalized augmentation" hypothesis is proposed. It allows for Hicks neutral as well as biased technical change. An empirical application to U.S. agriculture is presented in the context of input-output translating (additive augmentation). The analysis generates nonparametric estimates of productivity that are obtained under less restrictive assumptions than other commonly used productivity measures. The empirical results illustrate the usefulness of the approach. Copyright 1990 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (1990)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- C. Lovell & Shawna Grosskopf & Eduardo Ley & Jesús Pastor & Diego Prior & Philippe Eeckaut, 1994.
"Linear programming approaches to the measurement and analysis of productive efficiency,"
TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research,
Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 175-248, December.
- Lovell, C.A.K., 1993. "Linear Programming Approaches to the Measurement and Analysis of Productive Efficiency," Papers 393e, Georgia - College of Business Administration, Department of Economics.
- Kellie Curry Raper & Corinna Noelke, 2004. "Determining market power exertion between buyers and sellers: are nonparametrics a viable alternative?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(20), pages 2265-2274.
- Chalfant, James A. & Eshel, Dafna M. Disegni, 2001. "A Nonparametric Test Of Advertising'S Effectiveness," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20529, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1995. "Nonparametric tests of regularity, Farrell efficiency, and goodness-of-fit," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 415-425, October.
- Laurens Cherchye & Timo Kuosmanen & Thierry Post, 2001.
"Nonparametric Production Analysis under Alternative Price Conditions,"
Public Economics Working Paper Series
ces0105, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Laurens CHERCHYE & Timo KUOSMANEN & Thierry POST, 2001. "Non-Parametric Production Analysis under Alternative Price Conditions," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0105, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Thomas L. Cox, 1994.
"A Primal-Dual Approach to Nonparametric Productivity Analysis: the Case of U.S. Agriculture,"
Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers
372, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Jean-Paul CHAVAS & Thomas L. COX, 1994. "A Primal-Dual Approach To Nonparametric Productivity Analysis: The Case Of U.S. Agriculture," Staff Papers 372, University of Wisconsin Madison, AAE.
- Temel, Tugrul, 2011. "New facts for old debates: Farm size and productivity in US agriculture," MPRA Paper 31920, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ussif, Al-Amin M. & Lambert, David K., 1998. "Testing For Noncompetitive Behavior In The U.S. Food Industry," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20978, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Just, Richard E., 2000. "Some Guiding Principles For Empirical Production Research In Agriculture," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(2), October.
- Mullen, John D. & Cox, Thomas L., 1996. "Measuring Productivity Growth In Australian Broadacre Agriculture," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(03), December.
- Just, Richard E., 2003. "Risk research in agricultural economics: opportunities and challenges for the next twenty-five years," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 75(2-3), pages 123-159.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E., 2001. "Griliches' K-Shift And Competitiveness: Commodity Progress In Us Agriculture," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20700, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.